EK Drum Brake Dissasembly

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Matt_Rennie
State: QLD

EK Drum Brake Dissasembly

Post by Matt_Rennie »

Hi All,

Excuse my lack of knowledge- young guy, first EK - please be patient with me haha.

I have recently purchased a complete EK front cross member (with suspension and brakes) and Banjo diff - both are missing the drums.
Unfortunately the Asbestos liners are exposed (i have covered them with plastic bags and taped them up for the moment).

When I bought my car (it has HR Disc front end and Drum rear) the rear brakes had already been removed, so I have never disassembled a set like this and have nothing to compare to.

I have had a quick 5 min poke around them to see if removing the brake liners and backing plates was "obvious" and "easy" however did not want to go too far without knowing what i was doing and end up with a lung full of Asbestos.

Can anyone provide a quick "beginners guide" to disassembly so I can dispose of these liners safely, alternatively a copy of the page in the workshop manual would be great.

Rear Assembly:

Front Assembly:

Thanks,
Blacky
State: WA

Re: EK Drum Brake Dissasembly

Post by Blacky »

Mate, you need to get yourself a workshop manual , theres usually some for sale on Epay.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Matt_Rennie
State: QLD

Post by Matt_Rennie »

Yeah i Agree, Ive been relying on my "Holden 6" manual, but it doesn't have the EK specific info.

Any advise on which version is the most comprehensive, Holden "green" book, Gregory's, Max Ellery's?

Thanks,
thropzed
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by thropzed »

Remove the joiner spring with a screwdriver. Or pliers. Push and turn the retainer pins with flat nose pliers. The clip will pop and withdraw the pins through the rear. Tap leading edge of shoe with a screwdriver the shoe will move outwards if tight loosen the bolt at the bottom of shoes enough to let them slide out. You could spray the shoes with water if your concerned about asbestos but if they are in one piece all should be good.
Cheers Theo Z......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watch for the early bird, He might be just getting home.

FB/EK Car Club of QLD.