Carby float mystery

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Trev
State: NOT ENTERED

Carby float mystery

Post by Trev »

These are Stromberg carby floats believe it or not.

A mate was having trouble starting his car so we pulled the carby down and found one of these.
He said the mechanic had said the car back fired and wrecked the float so he replaced it. He showed me the other and it was exactly the same.
Anyone know why or how this would happen?
I've back fired cars before but never seen this.
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Carby float mystery

Post by Harv »

Seen a few like that. Either backfiring carbs, or where a hollow float is used in a blow-through supercharger setup and gets pressurised.

Small dents will come out by putting the float into a mug of boiling water. That one is probably beyond saving.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

I've seen similar with backfires on LPG systems when the engine is fairly worn. Drivers crank and crank till the intake sump and crankcase fills with gas and then when it fires there's a massive explosion. Seen sumps and air cleaners that look like bloated road kill as a result.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Craig Allardyce wrote:I've seen similar with backfires on LPG systems when the engine is fairly worn. Drivers crank and crank till the intake sump and crankcase fills with gas and then when it fires there's a massive explosion. Seen sumps and air cleaners that look like bloated road kill as a result.
Seen a few guys start diesel tractors on cold, cold mornings using ether.... you get the same kind of bang if you are heavy handed with it :shock: .

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Yep bad shit that stuff Harv. Many years ago I stripped a 400 big cam Cummins down for rebuild (hard starter and knocking). Turned out the camshaft key was 3 degrees out and made starting all but impossible without using Aerostart. Once stripped we found one conrod cracked from the gudgeon right down to the journal. Bad bad stuff.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Trev - are these floats out of the carbs off the motor that won't start ??
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Trev
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Trev »

Blacky wrote:Trev - are these floats out of the carbs off the motor that won't start ??
Yes mate.
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3