Chassis kit

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

ek wazza
State: NSW

Chassis kit

Post by ek wazza »

looking at fitting a chassis kit to my EK sedan. What does everyone think about the pre-fab ones from CRS? Any tips or tricks to fitting them?
Building an EK Special Sedan 304 T700, Rodtech F/end with disc's front & rear, and driving an EK Special Sedan Grey with Trimatic and the rest stock
Harv

Re: Chassis kit

Post by Harv »

G'day Wazza,

I used a CRS chassis kit for my EK wagon. Build quality was good, as was fitment. You could probably build our own for the same money or less if your welding skills are good... mine are not :oops: .

You will need to kow whether your car is an auto body or a manual body, as the crossmember thickness apparantly changes requiring different length components. I'm not sure of the auto crossmember width, but my notes from the time say that my body crossmember is 42mm wide, indicating a manual body.

You will need to weld the chassis rails into the rear spring hangers, so it is not a 100% bolt-up job.

The kit comes with nylock nuts. They don't like being put on and off repeatedly, so not a bad idea to either buy some spares or use normal nuts for fit-up. You will need to make your own crush tubes for inside the crossmember and subframe rails.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
iso007
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by iso007 »

Hey Harv. You just answered a question for me. I bought a crs chassis kit but it was too narrow for the cross member and I had to alter it. Mine was a manual but when I stripped it I realised it had originally been an auto as the tunnel was bigger. Now I realise from your post that the cross member is bigger on an auto. That was the only non fitting part of the kit. Puzzle solved thanks
Ian
nes138
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by nes138 »

With all the welding for crush tubes etc I ended up making mine in 50mm RHS 3mm thick with materials less than 200 incl the plate for the Y members up to X member holes.
Y piece not shown....
ImageImage
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Yeah theres not much in ém , we have made quite a few over the years ....
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
ek wazza

Post by ek wazza »

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm pretty busy these days so will probably buy a pre fab one. Has anyone got pics while fitting one?
Building an EK Special Sedan 304 T700, Rodtech F/end with disc's front & rear, and driving an EK Special Sedan Grey with Trimatic and the rest stock
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

They are pretty easy to fit Wazza, self explanatory once you get it in front of you.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Bawag
State: QLD

Post by Bawag »

I know this is an old post but I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the size of the steel used? I see that the rhs is 50x50x3 but what are the U sections and plates?
Cheers
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

PM Nomad, he can send you a PDF file with all the info you need :wink:

WesternWagon

Post by WesternWagon »

Ill measure mine in the morning
Member : Holden Car Club WA.
:ASRF Member
: Secretary FB/EK holden Club of WA.