Twin carb linkages and manifold

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Cocko750
State: NOT ENTERED

Twin carb linkages and manifold

Post by Cocko750 »

Hey fellas, have a twin carb Kleinig manifold and carb all set up and used but last run about 30 yrs ago , it was well used by the look of the tie wire holding the linkages together what I wanted to know is what type of linkage setup is it and does anyone keep it any longer or does anyone have bits stashed, I would like to fix it up and reuse what's there but add a brace to the centre where old mate fitted some more tie wire. Also wondering on the manifold there is a 1/4 bsp looking plug on each end of manifold under the carb mount bolts what are these for? Will try to post more photos
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (110.11 KiB) Viewed 834 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (111.44 KiB) Viewed 834 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (115.21 KiB) Viewed 834 times
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Twin carb linkages and manifold

Post by Harv »

G'day Cocko,

This may help:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=14756

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Cocko750

Post by Cocko750 »

Thanks Harv, looks like another great job you've done ,downloaded the app and read but not really what I was after then checked out the photos of all the manifolds your old friend had and discovered that the plugs may be for water heating instead of exhaust heat. Will dismantle linkages and find out what bits are needed or can be repaired won't do it till I get car and engine closer to ready don't want to lose bits .
Cocko750

Post by Cocko750 »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (146.62 KiB) Viewed 739 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (95.04 KiB) Viewed 739 times
But the Bullet and removed manifold and pulled it apart to reco it have a few photos and a few questions and advise.these are the plugs and looks like maybe manifold heating but is straight through so maybe could use as part of a different throttle setup ?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (95.04 KiB) Viewed 739 times
Cocko750

Post by Cocko750 »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (78.51 KiB) Viewed 739 times
The throttle set up is kleinig stamped and chrome but back bracket is broken , thinking about welding grind back and brace so it don't happen again or make my own (copy and add brace)and get it chromed?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (138.52 KiB) Viewed 739 times
Cocko750

Post by Cocko750 »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (98.59 KiB) Viewed 734 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (98.59 KiB) Viewed 734 times
Carbies are the same size but one is Aussie the other American I'm thinking I'll just get another off a grey to get recoed ? Has anyone have a preferred carb shop or can I get the same results from home. The recoloured brand new look is what I'm wanting I should be able to reco it but want it looking like new!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (94.63 KiB) Viewed 734 times
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Looks like water heating on the manifold.

Keep the Kleinig brackets without welding them - they are probably worth a fortune to the grey motor speed gear crowd (hey... that resembles me :oops: ).

Stromberg carburettors have featured on Holden vehicles from the first 48-series (FX) in 1948, through to the demise of the VB Commodore in 1980… a run of some thirty three years. The early Holden BXOV-1 carburettors were made under contract by American Bantam, a company once known as American Austin Company. American Bantam fitted the BXOV-1 to the 2,675 Bantam Reconaissance Cars (BRCs), which are recognised as the original ¼-ton "Army Jeep". The BXOC-1 was also fitted to and to the model 77, 440, CJ-2A and CJ-3A Willys. I suspect that American Bantam ceased making the Stromberg BXOV-1s when the BRC production ceased in December 1941 (American Bantam continued the war effort making trailers). Whilst the BRC Detroit facility was acquired by the US War Requisitions Board in February 1942, I suspect American Bantam kept the carburettor tooling, and supplied Holden (Australia) with carburettors from 1948. I'm not sure where American Bantam did this manufacturing from… probably the same place they had been making the BRCs and trailers (Butler, Pennsylvania), despite the El Mira NY casting marks). This supply (American Bantam US-made BXOV-1 carburettors to GMH Australia) continued through to 1956… coincidentally the exact same time that Armco Steel Company bought out American Bantam. Apparently at that time the carburettor tooling was sold by American Bantam to Holden to make their own carburettors in Australia. I've tried chasing down more for the American Bantam link, but hit a dead-end despite going through the US car club. Interestingly, according to the Stromberg Carburettor Company catalogues, the first WW carbs used by Holden were also made in the US (HR/HK/HT/HG carbs 23-201, 23-201A, 23-201B, 23-202, 23-202A and 23-202B). This was no earlier than 1966 though, well after the demise of American Bantam... I’m not sure who made the early WW’s on GMH's behalf.

... but enough history. Looks like you've got an early grey motor Strommie, and a post-1956 one. If you post the numbers stamped onto the float bowl (eg 23-3000) I can confirm what they came off. There is very little difference in the grey Strombergs. Some is easily changeable (eg main metering jets), some is not (eg main discharge jet). With the float bowl numbers, I can tell you what (should) be different internally, and whether they will be easy to make identical. If you are not overly fussy, any of the grey carbs can be made to (roughly) match another one.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.