Subframe inner bolts rusted won't budge

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

holdenutechick
State: NSW

Subframe inner bolts rusted won't budge

Post by holdenutechick »

trying to remove the front subframe to put it on rotisserie, we've tried different things such as drowning in wd40, rattle gun, banging with a mallet, the nuts came off easy but the bolts are stuck, we've been experimenting on the floor section we got from rustydungers which has the same issue, I wish to hit it with the blow torch failing that cut it off, Daniel on the other hand believes there'd be another way of doing it, Dan won't let me use the power tools which is why this project has dragged on so long, if I had my way it would have been done ages ago, anywho whats the trick boys am I right?

~Allison
My project:
'60 Holden FB ute

Other family projects:
Mum's '54 FJ Holden Special Sedan
Farm Bedford grain truck
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Subframe inner bolts rusted won't budge

Post by Harv »

Can't have tried too hard with the rattle gun... the bolt head is not rounded yet :lol:

Put the nut back on the end until flush with the thread, then beat the snot out of the nut/bolt end with a bfh.

If that don't work, heat around the bolt (and the other end - bolt head) with an LPG torch. Won't melt the steel but will get it plenty hot. Cool, heat, cool then get the bfh out again.

Failing that, grind the thread and bolt head off (or make Dan do it with a file if powertools are banned :lol: ) then punch the remainder of the bolt out with a drift.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.