channeling / body drop on an FB/EK

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

VS355
State: NOT ENTERED

channeling / body drop on an FB/EK

Post by VS355 »

Hi All,

I have a Spare EK i bought a few years back (2007) that has a chassis kit and a fibreglass front clip. The car will most likely never see the road in a registered form and i bought it with the intentions of modifying it and getting all of that side of things out on it so i don't mess with my 215 too much.

With that in mind and knowing that the car will never need to meet rego standards or have to get engineered. How hard do you think it would be drop the body over the chassis kit?
Just thinking about it i may need to weld in a new rear clip. Has anyone Body dropped an EK or any car for that matter, any advise would be greatly apreciated.
MeFB

Re: channeling / body drop on an FB/EK

Post by MeFB »

No Idea, but did find a good thread on sectioning. Sounds like you'd have to be pretty brave (or just not care if you cock it up) to do it.

Sectioning: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/basics- ... 45509.html

Check out Kiid61's thread here http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=570if you want something that looks like this (dropped, but not sectioned):

Way more skill than I have...

:arrow: :D
Alan
Member No.1 of the FB EK Holden Car Club of WA (Woo-hoo :D sweet!)
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Body drop (or channelling for us older folk) would require a full chassis. Therefore seeing that an EK is a monocoque chassis. You'd basically have to cut out everything and start from scratch.
EK Kustom

Post by EK Kustom »

It's not for the fainthearted channeling, its a very big job and most people tend to give up halfway and the car ends up being worth little more than it's weight in scrap.
A unibody car would be just that much more difficult.

I know all about it , i've got a 5" channeled 50 dodge and a 3" channeled, 5" sectioned and 2" chopped 36 rat pickup taking up my EK space in ma shed.

At one stage i planned to drop a Fb ute body over a V6 rodeo 4x4 floorpan and bed floor, my engineer killed that idea. Due to $$$.
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

SunnyTim wrote:
EK Kustom wrote:It's not for the fainthearted channeling, its a very big job and most people tend to give up halfway and the car ends up being worth little more than it's weight in scrap.
A unibody car would be just that much more difficult.

I know all about it , i've got a 5" channeled 50 dodge and a 3" channeled, 5" sectioned and 2" chopped 36 rat pickup taking up my EK space in ma shed.

At one stage i planned to drop a Fb ute body over a V6 rodeo 4x4 floorpan and bed floor, my engineer killed that idea. Due to $$$.
Well said. I have scrapped more than 50 'lost interest I was gunna' projects that people have started in the last 15 years. I have a tally in my shed. Many were very good cars before they were pulled apat and left in the rain for 2 years.
God I'm a cynical bastard :crazy: :crazy:
Tim
no you aren't, because it happens FAR to frequently people think ohh great pull them apart which any idiot can do then when it gets to the difficult/expensive part of putting them back togeather it all is to hard and rather than have to sell them at a great loss because of what THEY have done by stripping a fairly good car they leave them to rot :thumbsdown:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
bootlegger

Post by bootlegger »

The eh panel van i recently bought it was somebodies unfinished project.
Im sure it was a complete car when they started but i got a rolling body with a couple of bits.
It had been stripped to metal and left.
It was an incredibly rust free body so i had it blasted and redid the rust repairs that the previous owner did.
Its well on track now but i still need a few things.
At least this unfinished project has been saved
Harko

Post by Harko »

Wow I'm slowly fading off everyones radar.
I've got a channeled ek in the build ,I've placed it over a toyota chassis and I'm gaining 100mm of drop which allows full suspension travel and 120mm clearance to the road.
The toyota meral in the floor pan is awkward to weld to and its not a small job overall.
There's a thread in here somewhere .
Easily distracted angle manipulator extrordinaire.
choppedfan

Post by choppedfan »

Harko wrote:Wow I'm slowly fading off everyones radar.
I've got a channeled ek in the build ,I've placed it over a toyota chassis and I'm gaining 100mm of drop which allows full suspension travel and 120mm clearance to the road.
The toyota meral in the floor pan is awkward to weld to and its not a small job overall.
There's a thread in here somewhere .
Had a look for the thread but couldn't see it :? :? :? Harko could you post a link to it please. :wink:

How long ago did you start???

Mick 8)
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Can't say I've ever seen a thread solely dedicated to it either Harko? I know I've seen pics but that's it. Think you'll find it in his build thread for the coupe laying around with the back window opening was what I last remember.
Harko

Post by Harko »

I think your right , the fefcholden forum had a thread 2/3rds fc from years and years ago.

.or the fc delivery , cut it custom with the same deal.

I'm finding 2 downfalls with this option and that is the steering rack is very short ,possibly a. centre steer rack will work. Camira or elecrcic something
And rear wheels without moving chassis rails will only be 7s.
Apart from that all exhaust and crossmembers are up above the sills , great lock to lock turning circle , 427 legal but rules changed and not sure now .
Also gain some legroom ...
Easily distracted angle manipulator extrordinaire.
Thommo

Post by Thommo »

choppedfan

Post by choppedfan »

Wow check out the bodywork :shock: :shock: how about the transmission tunnel between the seats :? :? :?

Harko, have you still got your project? or even any progress pics from when you started, with the rise of customs amongst some early holden owners I'm sure I'm not the only one interested :wink:

Mick 8)
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

that would be sectioned not channelled wouldn't it? unless it has some chassis stuck under it (sorry for being ignorant and not reading the article if it says it in there)
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Mick wrote:
that would be sectioned not channelled wouldn't it? unless it has some chassis stuck under it (sorry for being ignorant and not reading the article if it says it in there)
Correct Mick! Sectioned not channelled.
kiid61

Post by kiid61 »

VS355 wrote:Hi All,

I have a Spare EK i bought a few years back (2007) that has a chassis kit and a fibreglass front clip. The car will most likely never see the road in a registered form and i bought it with the intentions of modifying it and getting all of that side of things out on it so i don't mess with my 215 too much.

With that in mind and knowing that the car will never need to meet rego standards or have to get engineered. How hard do you think it would be drop the body over the chassis kit?
Just thinking about it i may need to weld in a new rear clip. Has anyone Body dropped an EK or any car for that matter, any advise would be greatly apreciated.
Why can't it be engineered?

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... _ncop.aspx <--- Read this a few times.

Make a definitive decsion on what you want to do with the car (inside those rules)

Contact and engineer ---> http://www.rego.act.gov.au/assets/PDFs/ ... %20ACT.pdf

Make shit happen :wink:
http://www.facebook.com/60minus