The Trim Bank

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Marty K Bird
State: NOT ENTERED

The Trim Bank

Post by Marty K Bird »

Im currently looking to have my original front seat repaired, but I have one section of the stardust grey material that is cracked. I got chatting to another user on here about the possibility of tracking down enough to replace just the section i need. I also could do with enough material to recover an armrest and possibly the rear parcel shelf.

It got me to thinking about how many bits of material might be salvageable from seats that are being reupholstered. The back of a front seat would provide more then enough material to cover a couple of armrests and possibly the parcel shelf ... and there are some trims with large enough stardust grey section to provide useable trim.

With this sort of trim becoming impossible to find new I wondered if it could be a good idea to promote a "Trim Bank" of some sort..... so if anyone is getting their seats redone I would urge them to retain the old material from the trimmers and list it up on here what they might have available and im sure someone would only be too happy (and appreciative) to purchase some trim bits .....be a lot better then going in a bin.

Just an idea~

Marty :)
:peaceout:
Blacky
State: WA

Re: The Trim Bank

Post by Blacky »

........ And a bloody good idea it is too Marty :D
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
stinky
State: SA

Post by stinky »

Marty K Bird wrote: and possibly the parcel shelf ... and there are some trims with large enough stardust grey section to provide useable trim.
No it won't, not wide enough sorry.

A noble idea, but getting it to actually work is another thing altogether :(
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

Great idea Marty. I reckon most people on the Forum hang onto FB EK stuff whether it be trim, mechanicals or whole cars for parts... 8)

I recenly got some unwanted trim from Oldmanlacky for my armrests. :thumbsup:

I have the left overs of a wagon headlining. If you send me your trim dimensions of what you are seeking I'll see if I have piece that may suit.

Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Trev

Post by Trev »

I have advertised rear seats for free and had no takers so threw them out :thumbsdown: .
I don't (didn't) have room to keep them indefinitely.
I have given all I had away a few years ago.
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Marty K Bird

Post by Marty K Bird »

Stewart, that's one thing that I had been wondering if the roof headlining in the star pattern is the same material as used in the seats. The user i was chatting with seemed to think it might have been a different thickness or slightly different?? I do have a spare EK with grey trim that i haven't even looked at the roof lining in (are all roof trims white?)....could be a possibility alhtough if it looks complete i might leave it like that because i'm already thinking of doing the spare car up once i finish this one lol~ If you have some id be happy to buy some.

I'm after a bit for the side panel of the backrest of the front seat on the drivers side and enough to make a new bit of pipping on the bottom part of the drivers side ...see pic attached.

I was going to post a wanted ad in the parts wanted section at some stage.

Trev that's understandable, I understand its hard to keep whole seats and stuff as they take up a lot of space.
If i was working full time id offer to pay postage for trim to be sent to me of colours i don't even need so i could store them and send them on to the next guy who needs them for just postage costs.... i have many small sheds on my 10 acre block.

Stinky, yeah a noble idea I suppose.....The rear of the front seat would still be a handy bit of trim ..... what happens to the old trim you replace btw? Any bits salvageable?
I guess you would rather sell new ones then muck about with old trim....
Attachments
IMG970.jpg
IMG970.jpg (107.42 KiB) Viewed 863 times
:peaceout:
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

Hi Marty

I would have enough star pattern trim to cover that. I think its the same. Whatever star trim you do use will look slightly different because it will have worn and faded differently to the rest of the seat. Send me a PM with your postal details etc...

Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
stinky
State: SA

Post by stinky »

Marty K Bird wrote:Stinky, yeah a noble idea I suppose.....The rear of the front seat would still be a handy bit of trim ..... what happens to the old trim you replace btw? Any bits salvageable?
I guess you would rather sell new ones then muck about with old trim....
Everything is usually too far gone and I am not giving up my templates :wink:
Plus I don't have space to store misc trim in the hope that someone someday wants something.

Rear seats are good for repairing front seats for two reasons
1: The rear seats are bigger and
2: The rear seats get used less often
OldMan's Lacky

Post by OldMan's Lacky »

I like the theory and intent Marty :thumbsup:

I'm not sure where this material originally came from (not even sure if it is FB/EK or just replacement vinyl) but I'd be happy to donate it if the bank got up and running.

Cheers.

Danny