need help with powerglide speedo cable

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

skin_dog
State: NOT ENTERED

need help with powerglide speedo cable

Post by skin_dog »

Hey guys and gals,

I've just bought an HR for the wife, (and kinda for me too!) and i'm doing the little things that need doing. One of those things is the speedo not working, so before buying a speedo cable i thought i'd have a look at whats going on.
Cable seemed to be correctly seated in the back of the speedo so i went to the other end of the cable to see what was going on.
It was only hand tight into the powerglide so i tried tightening it but the whole cable wanted to turn. so then i got 2 pairs of pliers onto the job and after many rotations i realised it hadn't progressed further into the transmission. It was then that i just grabbed and pulled and the whole thing came right out.
So these cables are obviously very different to the ones i'm used to on the grey 3 speed. There wasn't even an inner cable coming out the end.

Whats the go with these red motor/powerglide cables? Why doesn't mine thread in? Why no inner cable?

Help please!!!
Blacky
State: WA

Re: need help with powerglide speedo cable

Post by Blacky »

My guess is - its buggered :shock: :roll: :? :esad:

Check your speedo isnt siezed then ring Autocables ( http://www.autocables.com.au/ ) and get a shiny new one :thumbsup:

Fit aforementioned cable , then take some photos of the HR and post ém up so we can all have a look 8) 8) 8) 8)
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

Thanks Blacky, trouble is everything looks fine, except maybe the speedo is seized like you said. I'll check that tomorrow.
Another concern i forgot to mention was that when i poked my finger into the whole in the transmission i couldn't feel a threaded hole at all.
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

I've just done some reading, now i know nothing at this stage but could i be missing the drive gear?

Does the drive gear sit in the hole where and cable goes and the cable threads into the drive gear?

I'm sure something is not right by the look of things...
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Utek,

a) Disconnect the cable at the speedo end, and go for a drive whilst the copilot looks at the inner cable end. If it ain't turning, the problem is likely to be in the cable/box. If the cable is turning, the trouble is probably in the speedo head (gauge). You can DIY the gauge repair, get an instrument tech to do it or buy a 2nd hand one and swap out.

If it's in the cable/box,
b) disconnect the cable from the box end, and spin the box end with your fingers whilst the same copilot looks at the gauge end. If the gauge end of the inner doesn't spin, then the cable is probably snapped. Replace as per Blacky's advice.
c) if the cable is OK, the drama is in the box. Could be a missing/loose gear or cable receiver is no longer square.

Not sure if the above helps. I've got the HR workshop manual at home and the Max Ellory transmission guide,though it will be a while until I am home again - give me a yell after Easter if you want some scans posted.

Cheers,
Harv.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

I'll have a look tonight and see if it's in the Gregory's manual I have at home. If they're similar to a trimatic they slide in not screw and the cable should have a plastic speedo gear on the end or at worst still in the box.
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

DR, Harv, thanks a million for the help and tips. I now have it sorted out.
It seems that (like you said DR with the hydramatic) that the speedo cable just pushes straight into the box even though it has a threaded section at the end. (According to a guy at Rares the thread could be for one of the many other boxes these cables are a multi fit for).
The reason there was no cable poking out of the end is because the drive gear (that was totally absent) goes up the guts of the fitting on the end of the housing and grabs the inner cable further in (does that make sense?)
So after your hydramatic comment DR, and you're trouble shooting tips Harv, i mannaged to fix the problem and prevented myself from buying a whole speedo cable. $24 for a drive gear 8)

Much appreciated guys.

Pics of the wifes new wheels to follow soon.

PS Brett: you still have the green rocket? I stumbled across a photo of it on some guys flickr feed, thought maybe you sold it?
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

PPS: Blacky, its been a while since i was on here but i miss your old avatar!! :( :)
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

UTEK wrote:PPS: Blacky, its been a while since i was on here but i miss your old avatar!! :( :)
Its in getting new tyres fitted :wink:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

Nice. 8) Look forward to seeing it.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

UTEK wrote:
PS Brett: you still have the green rocket? I stumbled across a photo of it on some guys flickr feed, thought maybe you sold it?
Yep still got it! It ain't going anywhere in a hurry. Unless ofcourse I'm behind the wheel.... :mrgreen: got a link to the pic?

Good to hear you got it sorted. Now pics.... :thumbsup:
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

I can't remember what i was looking for when i stumbled across it and now that i'm trying to find it i can't. Sorry mate.
It was at a car show somewhere 'cos he had all sorts of other rod and kustom pics.
As soon as i stop playing with the HR and tidy it back up again i'll get some pics up....