Leaking Lines

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Kingaz
State: VIC

Leaking Lines

Post by Kingaz »

After taking the ute out for its first spin the brake fluid was empty checked under and the lines appear to be leaking from this point

Any ideas on how to correct lines appear to be in tight with no room to turn is this a common leak?

cheers

adam
FB-EK Holden Car Club of Victoria
Finny
State: QLD

Post by Finny »

I haven't had mine leak from that junction box before.
Just about every other spot, but not that one.

Seems strange to be leaking there, is it possibly running down from the master cylinder or something else.

If it emptied the master cylinder, that a lot of fluid loss and a bad leak. Did you check every wheel, inside and out ? No other leaks anywhere else ?

They can all be difficult to get at and tighten. :x :x
IT's LIKE WATCHING DRUNK MONKEYS TRYING TO HUMP A FOOTBALL.
RedWhiteFB
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Leaking Lines

Post by RedWhiteFB »

Howdy,
I've got exactly the same problem. I replaced all the wheel cylinders, bled the brakes and then discovered that when the brake pedal is pushed, brake fluid is leaking out from where the line from the master cylinder screws into the junction box. If anyone can suggest what I can do to fix this, I would be eternally grateful!!!
Cheers,
Aaron.
fb cruzn

Post by fb cruzn »

hey guys, undo all the lines and take it off, give it all a good clean, and refit it, when screwing the lines into the block make sure the lines go in straight and square. screw them in by hand all the way then nip them up with a pipe spanner (normal spanner will be ok with care) dont use shifters or vise grips :wink:

while the block is off make sure all the pipe fittings are in good condition
RedWhiteFB

Post by RedWhiteFB »

Thanks for that. I'll give it a really good cleanout on the weekend and see it that fixes it up. Are there any seals on these connections that I should be replacing?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

RedWhiteFB wrote:Thanks for that. I'll give it a really good cleanout on the weekend and see it that fixes it up. Are there any seals on these connections that I should be replacing?

Cheers,
Aaron.

Nope. Just make sure it all seats in properly.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
RedWhiteFB

Post by RedWhiteFB »

I tried cleaning it all up and refitting it, but it's still leaking from the same place. Does anyone in Melbourne happen to have a spare "master cylinder to junction box" line? I should probably also replace the junction box in case that's the part that's leaking.
Unless, of course, someone else knows of a brilliant fix that will get me back on the road this weekend. It's been nearly five years since she's been out on the road and I'm so desperate to take her for a spin!!!!!!
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

From memory (a little fuzzy :oops: ) aren't there two different brake line valve seat angles (that are very similar) used in Holdens? If the lines are new, could it be the wrong fitting used?
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
RedWhiteFB

Post by RedWhiteFB »

This part of the brake system is all original. The only things I've replaced are the wheel cylinders. If no-one's got a spare brake line floating around I might see if I can get one made up. Hopefully it's not the junction box that's the issue!!
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Have you checked there is no splits in the brake line? I'll have a look tonight but I can't gaurantee I've got any floating around.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
RedWhiteFB

Post by RedWhiteFB »

Appreciate that Devilrod. I didn't see any splits when I took the junction box out last time. However, being stuck under the car in a dark garage probably wasn't the best place to be checking! I'll take the actual line out and check it properly.