Grey motor work

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

hammo82
State: NOT ENTERED

Grey motor work

Post by hammo82 »

Hello all,

This is my first question on the forum, it would be great if someone could help me out.

I was going to change the engine in my ek to a 186, but i think i would rather keep it as original as possible using 'period' modifications. My question is, is it possible to obtain engine parts to hot up a grey motor? I'm obviously not after all out speed, but rather the sound and the look.
Is it possible to get 1) cams, 2)modified heads, 3)twin or triple carb manifolds and other items like that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Blair
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Hammo , there is a bit you could do to a grey motor , if you send a PM to 4hammers I am sure he will help you out as he is a grey motor guru !
hammo82

Post by hammo82 »

Thanks Blacky.

I'll drop him a pm
EK-179

Post by EK-179 »

hello blair

i know exactly what you mean, i was asking the same questions 3 weeks ago on the fe fc forum;)

as for head work. we took it down to hoppers express. they stripped it down, crack teseted it, shaved 30thou off, ported it out and put 202 valves in it.

as for carbies, i bought a set of win strommies that were fully rebuilt for 150, bargain i know(bought off ebay)

then there is the cam situation. alot of people will argue about the cam. personally we wanted something that was totally raical(lumpy as shit), so we went for a 40/80 grind cam. this is being odne by clive cams as we speak. as i said though there will be alot of people that will tlel you to steer clear of going that lumpy, but in the end it is what ou want, if you want lump, go for lumpy, but beware of the outcome!!!!
hammo82

Post by hammo82 »

Thanks for your help TorqueFc, I do want a lumpy cam, you'll have to let me know how yours ends up when you get it going!
Good luck with it.
Cheers!
EK-179

Post by EK-179 »

hehehe

yes will let you know how things go. this was actually the first grey we have built, so it was pretty much trial and error, and we couldnt of done it without the help of fellow forum members on the fe fc forum :wink:

anyway should have it running in around 1-2 weeks so as i said i will let everyone know

cheers
torque
FB60

Post by FB60 »

yeah - thats good advice ...

I had a mate put in a lumpy cam when he reconditioned my Grey motor ...

The reco went well, but the overall result was that the car is not very comfortable to drive around town with even a mildly lumpy cam.

For me personally, I'm going back to a stock cam as soon as I get locate one and get the time to drop it in. I know that I'll lose some performance up high on the freeway - but will definately make day to day driving aroudn town more enjoyable.

cheers
J
hammo82

Post by hammo82 »

FB60, do you think it would be bearable if you were only driving it one day a week (sunday car)? Or is it really that uncomfortable to drive?

I had an LC torana with a 186 that was worked, it wasnt too bad.

Cheers!
petrolhead

Lumpy?

Post by petrolhead »

Do what you want to do. I used to own a MK1 Cortina with a 1500 G.T. engine that was absolutly worked to the max and was still a daily driver. The best 1/4 mile time was 14.98 which sent many packing.As for lumpy the car used to bounce around at traffic lights and it was nothing unusual for engine mounts to only last 3 months.In the end I chained the engine down.One upside for me was that when you had a female in the passenger seat you definitly knew if they were wearing a bra or not.
Regards
Petrolhead
hammo82

Post by hammo82 »

"One upside for me was that when you had a female in the passenger seat you definitly knew if they were wearing a bra or not" :lol:

Thanks petrolhead. I will definately take your advice on board!
EK-179

Post by EK-179 »

hey hammo

got the motor running (currently on a stand)

runs very well, cam is very very lumpy and it feels as though there is a ton of power there

had a tiny bit of problem getting it to idle at start, but another carby fixed that. at the moment it is only running single carb (easier to run a single carb on a rebuilt motor at start). twin carbs will be on in a week or so, so i will let you know how that goes. just ask if you have any questions
hammo82

Post by hammo82 »

Gday Torque

Glad to hear you got it going!! I look forward to hearing how she goes on the road.

Cheers!
fb cruzn

Post by fb cruzn »

hi guys, i put a set of rings in my grey to freshen it up, when i pulled the pistons out they were marked std, but were huge compared to std grey? i was told it was a repco engine and they were worked? i got rings to suit, got some port work done, twin carbs and extractors now she flys, its pretty lumpy at idle. dunno what cams in it. the engine is painted blue(apparently repco engines were) has any one herd of these engins?
fb cruzn

Post by fb cruzn »

hi guys, i put a set of rings in my grey to freshen it up, when i pulled the pistons out they were marked std, but were huge compared to std grey? i was told it was a repco engine and they were worked? i got rings to suit, got some port work done, twin carbs and extractors now she flys, its pretty lumpy at idle. dunno what cams in it. the engine is painted blue(apparently repco engines were) has any one herd of these engins?