Hr diff baseplates

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

jake08
State: NOT ENTERED

Hr diff baseplates

Post by jake08 »

I was wondering if hr baseplates are the same as ek ones- I forgot to grab them when I got my diff and now I'm thinking I may not be able to use the ek ones. Any one know?
mrs ratbox

Re: Hr diff baseplates

Post by mrs ratbox »

they are different but if you use U bolts the like what the FB/EK have you should be right i've done it before
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi.

Make sure you use the right baseplate rubbers when you go to fit the HR housing.
Ute and van rubbers are different to sedan and wagon rubbers.
Commercial vehicles have more springs and the rubbers are a different thickness.

If you use u bolts you may need to slot the holes in the HR housing plates to get the u bolts through facing straight up and down.
If the u bolts sit an angle there is the likelyhood that the housing can move on the housing side to side. Make sure the rubbers are properly located on the spring centre studs before tightening the u bolts

Or..
Just use bolts as per original HR with the spacer bars in place so you dont crush the crap out of the rubbers,,, Again commercial spacer plates are thicker than sedan and wagon spacer plates.

Not long been through all this on my panelvan.

You will also need to change...
Handbrake cable
Rear uni to suit HR yoke.
Location of Brake line block that is mounted on top of the housing right hand side. Original FB/EK hose will be too short to reach the HR block as it is mounted closer to the centre of the diff. Its either do that or .. get a longer hose..
Oh yeah.. HR brake hose threads are smaller than FB / EK :wink:

Hope this helps.
Reddo.
Holden .. australian car for australian conditions.....partyin', drinkin' ,cruisin' and rootin'
jake08

Post by jake08 »

Thanks for the info guys- i am looking at going down the u bolt path.
What is involved in changing the handbrake cable ? Do ineed to make any mountings on the body or is it a matter of using existing parts?
reddo

Post by reddo »

Yo
Handbrake cables are different where they fit into the hr backing plates.
There is a mob in Melbourne who will make you a cable to suit HR rear end into Ek .

from memory ( whats left of it ........) i think the outer between the backing plate and the retainer on the body has to be around 430mm long.
Any shorter and you will have to make up some L shaped brackets and bolt on where the FB/EK brackets are to get back to the outer cable retainer ferule ..
Does that make sense.
Cant remember the dudes name who makes the cables. He advertises on ebay.. try searching on Handbrake cables .. get his number and ring him... 8)

Reddo
Holden .. australian car for australian conditions.....partyin', drinkin' ,cruisin' and rootin'
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

What's the advantage of a HR diff anyway? Wouldn't the HR centres bolt into the EK housing anyway? All looks pretty similar to me. Brakes are the same size and look like the same pressings, spring plates are a bit different, shocks would mount in the same way if a HR diff housing was installed from what i can see...
seems sorta pointless going ot the trouble of cutting off old brackets and welding EK ones onto a diff when you could just change the centres?
'The best engine in the world is a vagina. It can be started with only one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And it changes it's own oil every four weeks. It is a pity that the management system is so f*$king temperamental.'
thropzed

Post by thropzed »

Disc conversion, Jimmy requires the smaller rear wheel cylinders.
Read more here
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 27&t=11585
Cheers Theo Z.....................
Watch for the early bird, He might be just getting home.

FB/EK Car Club of QLD.
(AUST)Mod
State: WA

Post by (AUST)Mod »

thropzed wrote:Disc conversion, Jimmy requires the smaller rear wheel cylinders.
Read more here
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 27&t=11585
Cheers Theo Z.....................
Or as in my case, a Wilwood proportioning valve :)
Craig wrote: Andrew you have a red so I wouldn't race it :wink:

EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

Sorry fellas i must be missing something here. So are you saying when running a HR disc front end you need the HR diff/rear drums to work properly with the rest of the braking system, or is it as simple as the HR brakes are better? I'm a bit lost...
Or Theo, do you mean the HR diff makes a rear disc brake conversion easier down the track?

Jimmy
'The best engine in the world is a vagina. It can be started with only one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And it changes it's own oil every four weeks. It is a pity that the management system is so f*$king temperamental.'
ben jones

Post by ben jones »

when running a disc brake front the rear brakes should have a smaller wheel cylinder than drum brakes all round or as austmod said proportioning valve otherwise you get rear brake lockup under hard braking

there's also my case of i just like the looks of the EJ/HR housings :? :roll:
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

they look almost the same ben :lol: how can you like the look of the HR ones.
Okay i get it now....or i could just do away with brakes :twisted: