M21 ONTO RED

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

dieselwagon
State: NOT ENTERED

M21 ONTO RED

Post by dieselwagon »

2nd gear on my M20 went AWOL on way home from Bright other week. Ive got a spare M21. Is it as simple as changing input shaft from M20 into M21 and installing. This mite get me mobile while i build up the motovation to do a 5sd update!!!!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Firstly , welcome to the forum - why not just swap the whole box over instead of rooting around changing input shafts? I have a feeling an M21 input shaft would be different to an M20 - the amount of teeth is different.
I was you , I'd sell the M21 to a Torana restorer and use the money for a 5 speed and probably a holiday to the gold coast :lol:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Dee

Post by Dee »

Think your right Blacky - don't know fur sure but know all the ratios are different except top - funny that..

You might also like to check which motor the box came from - I think the V8 boxes have a different splined input shaft - but cant remember - too long ago...

I wouldn't want to pull an aus box apart and tinker with changing stuff from a different box.. they can be very sloppy at the best of times - I'd keep all the stuff in one box and do as Blacky says - unload the dodgy one as a "needs repair and overhaul kit" sale..

Dee
dieselwagon

Post by dieselwagon »

Thanks guys looking at a couple of M20 on evilbay due to the fact i just blew my 5spd cash on a WB panelvan yesterday. Fingers crossed the next one will last a little longer!