fitting vr wagon diff, is it worth it? whats involved?

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

matches
State: NOT ENTERED

fitting vr wagon diff, is it worth it? whats involved?

Post by matches »

hi guys, i have access to a vr wagon for any parts except the engine if i want it. is it hard to fit up the diff? would it need shortening? can i use the front brakes and/or steering rack? any help will be much appreciated.
L&K
(AUST)Mod
State: WA

Post by (AUST)Mod »

Take a look at Sammy's thread.
Craig wrote: Andrew you have a red so I wouldn't race it :wink:

Sammy

Post by Sammy »

yeah what he said :)

have a look at page 9 here http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=120

i dunno how much your willing to take on by yourself but i guess if theres someone local that can shorten it for you then would should be right .... i wont say its an easy job but its worth it for the strength you will get from the commodore diff and especially if you want rear discs and commodore stud pattern its the logical solution.

as for the steering racks, i have a non-power assisted one in my FB and i have heard the power assisted ones arn't real good, but having said that i have moved my car around with motor and all that in the yard and its by no means hard to turn so im expecting the steering to be very good!
Last edited by Sammy on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Sammy.

http://www.oldholdens.com
matches

Post by matches »

thanks guys. that helps..... i think :roll:
L&K
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

oh yeah front brakes ... if you have adaptors or hr drum brake stub axles then you can fairly easily put the VR calipers on the front of the EK .... you will need to get VP V8 front discs and then then the caliper is the same as a VP V8 ... also same as vl turbo and i think possibly VL V8 and vn v8 but im not 100% sure on the last ones ...

i have put these on my Torana with the drum brake adaptors..... i drive it every day approx 120kms and they work great!

Regards,

Sammy.

matches

Post by matches »

sammy, i currently have hr drum front. i rang crs and he said all i have to do is send the stubs down and he'll machine them and send them back with the adapters for $368, i think this is how i'll go. as for the diff, i'll have to get someone to do it for me as i have no idea and i don't have the confidence to try it out. any ideas on $$$ to have one done?
L&K
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

FAARRRRRKKK man i bought the adaptors from v6 conversions for like $150 i think and the machining i did with a file and grinder!!!

ahh the original diff i got done was $300 but that was a dodgy job (part of the reason i did the one in that other thread) so i would think getting one done wouldn't be much more than $400-500 ... but also if you can cut all the commodore mounts off and get it as ready as possible the places will have less to do ....
Regards,

Sammy.

mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

sell him yor old housing and axles :wink: or he can pay you to do his
matches, how far are you from south west rocks
matches

Post by matches »

ratbox, about an hour from my place, about 20 mins from my parents where the car is. why?
Luke
yeprat1

Post by yeprat1 »

i recently bought a vn lsd diff for the wagon which im not actually going to use now as i have finally found a wheel manufacturer that makes wheels to fit early stud pattern anyway i got priced about $900 to shorten the diff and axles to suit fb.and im not telling who makes the wheels till i have them for myself first yes im selfish and there not to dear either about $300 a wheel
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

yeprat are they 17" if so i was going to sujest them they may even find there way onto the car i'm doing now somewhere way in the future
matches, a mate of mine lives up there he used to do diff conversions basically for a living, i'll try find his number, he built and used to own the DOG 308 EK ute drag car
matches

Post by matches »

ratbox, that would be really cool, thanks.
yeprat, i found some pretty cool 17's and 18's that will fit ek stud pattern too, but as i'm going to be towing a van a fair bit, and the fact that the parts are there i'm looking at going this way.
L&K