gearbox help

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

yeprat1
State: NOT ENTERED

gearbox help

Post by yeprat1 »

ok guys i want to get this celica box behind my 179 mounted, anyway whats the go with making sure the whole thing goes into place correctly and not out of alignment if u know what i mean. are there any special measurements i need to know or what andwhts the go with crush tubes surely it cant be that hard but then again im a bit of a dummy so be nice i cant seem to get motorvated till i get this done thanks troy
Smooth customs

Post by Smooth customs »

Troy

Do you have the conversion Bellhousing? and all the parts required.

After reading your previous post, where you mention no mechanical background!

You may be taking on something a little big for your first try.
Some fabrication and welding experience is required.

And an understanding of safety issues when working on a car doing any work is a must.

Dont rush into something like this, thinking you will save money doing it yourself. If you stuff up it can become a costly rework for you when someone else has to fix it.

I know this from previous experience, I use to specalise in conversions and spent half my time redoing other peoples attempts.
EK JAY
State: NSW

Post by EK JAY »

:) yes but if you dont try you will never learn and you
have come to the right place for advice and help :wink:
some one on here will be able to help you Troy :wink:
EK JAY SINCE 1990
yeprat1

Post by yeprat1 »

yes i have everything required as far as i know gearbox, bellhousing ,crossmember and the other little bits basicly i just want to get it all lined up or bolted up so i can unbolt it all again and get my mate to marry the new tunnel with the floorpan and continue with the rest of the car maybe i might just wait till i have more money
Finny
State: QLD

Post by Finny »

Hey Troy, I'm not an expert, and down the track I'm looking to make some mechinical changes. Over the years I've learn a lot, the biggest thing being to know when I'm out of my depth.

Get lots of advice. Measure twice cut once.

As mentioned make sure your comfortable with welding, etc. And ideally find someone that has done excatly what your planning. Otherwise, save your money and get a professional to do it, can end up cheaper in the long run, and cerainly a lot quicker.
IT's LIKE WATCHING DRUNK MONKEYS TRYING TO HUMP A FOOTBALL.