UC torana disc brake diff into ek sedan

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

ek wazza
State: NSW

UC torana disc brake diff into ek sedan

Post by ek wazza »

thinking about putting a uc torana salsbury disc brake diff into my ek sedan. is this possible and does anyone have any pointers or can recommend someone in sydney to do it...
Building an EK Special Sedan 304 T700, Rodtech F/end with disc's front & rear, and driving an EK Special Sedan Grey with Trimatic and the rest stock
FB MAD
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by FB MAD »

G'day EK wazza and welcome to the forum,

I don't think there is a great deal of strength advantage as the UC Salisbury uses the same crown wheel and pinion as the standard red motor banjo diff ( as per what I wrote in another post).I guess the salisbury setup may be a bit stronger than a banjo but not by a big margin.It's only as strong as its weakest link.

There is the advantage however in having the optional disc brake rear that the UC's had or even the standard UC drum setup would be a better brake upgrade than the standard EK brakes.

Haven't got any details of UC wheel track versus EK wheel track or on the fitment of UC diff into EK but perhaps another forum member may be able to help you there.I have an inkling that the fitment would be possible without to much trouble.

My thoughts,

Terry.
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
ek wazza
State: NSW

Post by ek wazza »

thanks terry for the advice.
the main reason for the change is that i have the diff sitting there and i thought discs on the rear would be the way to go. if it is stronger than the original diff that is great but it is only a mildly worked 202 in the car.
Any other help would be appreciated, thanks.
Building an EK Special Sedan 304 T700, Rodtech F/end with disc's front & rear, and driving an EK Special Sedan Grey with Trimatic and the rest stock
Sammy
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Sammy »

in my experience if you don't dump the clutch and so forth it will last fine.

one thing to be careful of is the calipers on the chassis rails, i did a trail fitting yrs ago on my ek sedan and from memory you have to swap the backing plates side to side or something and work out where is the best etc ...

you also want to have the handbrake cables setup to pull forward and this was a matter of removing the handbrake mech off the back of the calipers and swapping stuff around till its all on the right spots ....

also one thing i'd recommend, before you go too far with it, get the discs checked, if they are too thin you'll need to replace them and as far as i am aware you cannot buy them new .....
Regards,

Sammy.

http://www.oldholdens.com