FB Special project

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

iso007
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: FB Special project

Post by iso007 »

Love the photo of the gauges. Cant find the info on this forum. How did you do them?
Iam
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
iso007

Post by iso007 »

Got it, thanks blacky
Woody01

Post by Woody01 »

Not wasting anytime, that's for sure. Will be done by next summer at this pace!!

Was it expensive to get all the hanging panels blasted? I stripped my roof today by hand, was smelly,
Messy, and time consuming. I didn't mind doing it, but I know it's going to be a lot of paint stripper and strip it discs to do the whole car, so would be interesting to do the maths.
Woody - UMX-282
FB EK Club WA
Foundation Member # 138
EffBee

Post by EffBee »

Hey Woody,

Yeah I have a pretty good roster, so I get plenty of time to work on the old car. The quote I got for the whole car was $1500 but will end up being a bit more than that as I have a few other parts I want to get done. I bought the car already in primer, so I really couldn't know for sure what was underneath. Once it's done at least I'll know what I'm dealing with. Stripped Bare diamond blasting in Naval Base are the guys I'm using.

Greg
Woody01

Post by Woody01 »

$1500 seems like a reasonable price. Might have to see what sort of bonus work gives me haha.

Definitely keep the pics coming, will be interested to see how they turn out after blasting.

Are you going to do the bodywork yourself? Check out the WA section, I'm trying to get an idea of interest in the club doing a metal shaping course. A guy runs day courses once a month from his rockingham workshop.
Woody - UMX-282
FB EK Club WA
Foundation Member # 138
EffBee

Post by EffBee »

I'll be outsourcing most of the panel work, especially the floor pan replacement, I can weld about as good as I can knit :lol: :lol: There will be some stuff I will do myself buy my paint guy won't touch it unless it's been prepped properly, which I have no issue with at all, obviously the straighter we can get it to start with the better the paint will lay down and invariably look.

I did see that post about metal shaping classes, a mate of mine on here Sarge I think said he was keen. I'm really not set up yet at my new house to do that sort of stuff unfortunately.

Greg
EffBee

Post by EffBee »

Off to the Diamond Blaster, interesting to see what I get back :ebiggrin:

Old mate from Mandurah Towing is a massive old school Holden fan, spent more time talking cars than we did loading her up :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:
Mick Jagger

Post by Mick Jagger »

body looks better than most
kmawic
EffBee

Post by EffBee »

Quick update while the car is away at the Diamond Blaster, hoping to get it back just after Xmas.

As the motor was out of the car when I bought it, it was a bit of unknown, so have started to strip it down to see what I've got. Good news was that it turns over :ebiggrin: Bad news is that the carby was snapped of at the base, the water pump looks shot, thermostat housing was badly rusted and the dizzy is cattletrucked :lol: So have started sourcing parts / kits etc. Probably not telling you guys anything you don't already know, but man there is some expensive shit on eBay :crazy: :crazy: Everything else looks to be ok, going in for a full rebuild regardless

Anybody know where to get a diaphragm kit for a grey motor fuel pump ?? There like non existent :thumbsdown:

Stripped the steering column down and did a little bit of work to the honey pot and indicator sleeve ready for paint

Made up a mobile frame to sit the shell on when I go and pick it up

Stripped all the s/s mouldings off the door trims and started to polish them and the hundred other pieces of trim. Man isn't that a whole lot of fun :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Tried to clean the front and rear windscreens but no success, any suggestions ??

Found this in a guys shed the other day when I was picking up some parts for the car, not a fan of the silver and red paint work but got it pretty cheap. Gunna strip the paint and get the alloy polished up properly and see what it comes up like, will probably on sell it as I'm going to stick with the original rocker cover. If anyone is interested PM me.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

making some good progress there mate :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

WesternWagon

Post by WesternWagon »

Nice work Chalks, will have to come have a look. Making great progress. :thumbsup:

I have a heap of grey motor bits in the shed, you are welcome to any bits you need

Cheers

Gazza.
Member : Holden Car Club WA.
:ASRF Member
: Secretary FB/EK holden Club of WA.
WesternWagon

Post by WesternWagon »

Try some Brasso on the widows, Got a few spares here also.
Gazza
Member : Holden Car Club WA.
:ASRF Member
: Secretary FB/EK holden Club of WA.
EffBee

Post by EffBee »

Good news, I finally got the ol girl back from the blaster :D :D

Bad news is that it showed up a lot more than I was expecting but so glad I had it done as now I know exactly what I'm dealing with. The previous owner was a genius with bog but not very good with the welder.

A lot of work to do but all very repairable, may have to bring in the experts on this one though.

Any suggestions for good rust/panel repair shops around Perth/Mandurah

[/URL[URL=http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/chalks67/media/IMG_0553_zps1678a05b.jpg.html]Image

[/URL[URL=http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/chalks67/media/IMG_0551_zpsdf5c036b.jpg.html]Image

[/URL[URL=http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/chalks67/media/IMG_0550_zps04d54ad9.jpg.html]Image

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

HMMMMM - theres some winners out there ..............

Better to find it now than after its painted and back on the road though