GAPLESS RINGS FOR 186 /202

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

t337
State: NOT ENTERED

GAPLESS RINGS FOR 186 /202

Post by t337 »

Does anyone know where i can by a set of gapless rings suit bore size 3.655 (186 +30 ) I have tried TOTAL Seal .US but the dont have this size listed . I bought them from Percision parts (not precision international) a company in Boronia Melb. years ago but they have since disappeared ....thanks
muza

Re: GAPLESS RINGS FOR 186 /202

Post by muza »

SunnyTim wrote:Silly question as I am an only used to original specs, but is a gapless ring to maintain high compression or something? I thought they needed a tollerance for expansion?
Tim
x2, I'm interested to see why
FB Holden Fernando Yellow/Arctic Beige flash
Stock as a rock
75 series Landcruiser 350 Chev
Not so stock
hagar

Post by hagar »

Tim,gapless is not a really correct description,the rings are "stepped" or "notched" where they come together,so they still have a gap but the ends overlap so as to reduce ring leakage .Great for forced induction engines and engines that run a single ring (m/cycles etc ).There was a type of comp. ring available years ago that was made up of several narrow rings which when installed the gaps would overlap,giving a good seal but they were murder on the bore and would wear the cylinders out in a very short time. Cheers Gary
bootlegger

Post by bootlegger »

Try fabres. They have all sorts of weird stuff.
t337

Post by t337 »

HI I recieved an email from Total Seal the agent is
Mick Bromley.
Automotive and Motorcycle
Sales and Technical Support
Performance Wholesale Australia
6 Cronulla Court
Slacks Creek Qld 4127
Ph: 07 3808 1986

I,m going to order a set a so i'll let you know on the price
BTW heres the reason I decided to use these ring (lifted from there web blurb)

Gapless ® Piston Rings
Total Seal's patented Gapless ® Piston rings provide increased performance through unmatched sealing of the cylinder and combustion gasses in the combustion chamber. Increased horsepower and torque along with longer engine life are just a couple of the reasons why Total Seal's Gapless ® Piston rings are the best rings available. Here are many more.
Increased horsepower and torque
Longer engine life
Saves money (fewer teardowns)
Improved consistenny
Cleaner engine oil
Longer ring life
Better Oil control
Less friction
Lower engine oil temperatures
Wider torque curve
More engine vacuum
Increased intake signal

How it Works...
As shown in the illustration, compression gas is deflected by the rail into the piston groove and aid in pressure loading the ring throughout the 4 stroke cycle. At the same time the rail also and most importantly closes off the combustion gas leak path created by the ring end gap. This gap is the primary cause of blow-by in a 4 cycle engine. With a conventional type ring as the ring and cylinder wear the ring end gap increases and the blow-by figures increase. The Gapless® ring blow-by figures are not affected by this wear, as the ring end gap increases it is blocked by the rail portion of Total Seals patented interlocking 2 piece design stopping the blow-by at the source. Conventional style rings when newly installed will show leak down figures of 7% or higher these figures can quickly exceed 20% or higher after a surprisingly short period of time. Gapless® rings on the other hand when newly installed typically show leak down figures of 2% and lower and should remain the same throughout the life of the engine.