Volvo disc brakes & diff?

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

fbbad
State: NOT ENTERED

Volvo disc brakes & diff?

Post by fbbad »

Hi holden goers I found a volvo disc diff does it fit & what do I need to do to get it to fit I have a red with 5sp borg warner what is a good diff ratio to use any info would be good LUV this place THANKS HEAPS FB bad
NoMAD
State: WA

Volvo Diff

Post by NoMAD »

I think your asking how to fit a volvo diff - so i'll answer that

I'm currently doing this with a Volvo 164 diff, i believe this can also be do with the '2' series diffs (Volvo 244 etc...),

All you need to do is cut off the coil-overs & everything not required, weld on some spring mounts to suit the leaf's, have a new flexible brake hose made and adapt the handbrake cable. The stud pattern can be easily changed to suit your application and you'll need 14 in wheels to fit over the volvo discs,

he's what ive done so far - haven't hooked up the brakes or rebuilt them yet either!

Cheers
NoMAD

(AUST)Mod

Post by (AUST)Mod »

nomad, can i have a look at your setup sometime man? :)
oldnek

Post by oldnek »

G'day Nomad,

Nice Boots. Goes well with the Ovlov Diff now all you need is the hat.

Regards John

Hope your not serious like some on the site,It is Just a joke :lol:
ek61

Post by ek61 »

good work
is there much room to play with between the springs and rotors where the hand brake cables come out

cheers dave
"THE JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES BEGINS WITH A BROKEN FAN BELT AND A FLAT TYRE"
***just cruise***
NoMAD

Volvo Diff

Post by NoMAD »

Firstly,

(Aust)Mod: providing you bring that nice yellow fb round, j/k

no worries, i'll pm you in a couple of weeks when i'm not busy, i can even put you on to a wrecking yard i got mine from, if you want to go that way, its a fairly simple setup, just need to organise you brake setup - booster/master etc... but Perth brake parts would be/are very helpful with that.

Oldnek: yeah no worries mate, i'm sure ive got a hat to match lying around somewhere! (don't worry - i can take a joke providing thats all it is!)

ek61: haven't got that far yet, but i'm told it's no problem! (use back half of volvo setup - front half of holden setup!

Hers a before pic

and an after/well where i'm at now - axles in (still need rrebuild & the rest set up) - ignore the holden brake line - thats just left over)

Ratio is 3.54:1 for those interested

Cheers
NoMAD
(AUST)Mod

Post by (AUST)Mod »

is it shorter, or longer from drum to drum than an original rear end? :)
fbbad

FB v

Post by fbbad »

( That dosn't look volvo ) Thanks 4 that, looks good. Is that standard ratio ?and is a 5sp good with that diff. Thats alot of info NoMAD THANKS HEAPS! FBbad PLEASE keep the info cummin! Hey oldnek luky his name is NoMAD hey :)
NoMAD

Volvo Diff

Post by NoMAD »

(Aust)mod: its dam close i believe they are 20mm shorter, they don't need to be modified in size anyway,

fbbad: trust me its a volvo - theres a few different ratio's out there, 3.54:1 & 3.37:1 (or 3.33:1 can't remeber which) i also believe theres a 2.9?:1, 3.8?:1 and a 4.??:1 so theres a bit or varity out there! i've been told its a good diff to run with an overdrive gearbox (which for me is a VP Commodore TH700) but i can't see why it wouldn't be good with a 5 speed providing you were running a ratio that suits you! (i would say the 3.37 would be best for takeoffs and economy)

as for the brake setup - i will be running a 7" double booster & xb master.

Cheers
NoMAD
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

NoMAD , I tried to fit XB master and gemini booster into the wifes EK and the master was no good because the brake pipes exit on the drivers side and hit the hinge, ended up using a commondore master on the gemini booster.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
NoMAD

Brakes

Post by NoMAD »

Really?

amazing since then Hoppers Stoppers document states:
2/ FE to EK

A smaller Gemini booster (push rod lengthened) with an XB master will free up a bit of room. HQ or XB 1 inch master with remote VH40 is OK too but you will need larger rear wheel cylinders if not boosted. If going 4 wheel discs and remote boosters the two of the bloody things will be required.
I trust what your saying, but what about with the double booster?

does anyone know if they add a bit more length on them, and perhaps clear the hinges with the XB master? (i say XB master as i believe thats the easy to mate up to the common double boosters)

cheers
NoMAD
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Ours went through licencing with a standard Gemini booster which cost $160 for a reco job - if you wanta have a look I will bring it around when we have a look at your rocket.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
NoMAD

Brakes!

Post by NoMAD »

Yeah would definetly love to have a look at the whole car, not just the brake setup,

geez i'm starting to get a mini list up of people wanting to have a look, maybe i'll try and organise you (Blacky) & (Aust)mod to come round at the same time, then we can all check out each others rides! (well eventually will be ride in my case)

despite my never ending list i might try and sort out some more of the diff in the next week or so given we have brake shoes, bearings and i think a caliper rebuild kits!

Cheers
NoMAD
fbbad

FB v

Post by fbbad »

Hey can u make it in 6 months ?I Might have rego then ! It will save the walk! Iv got a vh 40 booster is this any good 4 the job ? Things are looken good in w.a THANKS HEAPS NoMAD & every 1 FBbad
NoMAD

Brakes!

Post by NoMAD »

Not that i'm anywhere near doing the brake setup yet, but blacky are you boosting the rear disks at all? or just front disks?

Cheers
NoMAD