Reco Brake Boosters!

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

earlyholdenfan
State: NOT ENTERED

Reco Brake Boosters!

Post by earlyholdenfan »

Not too sure where this post should have gone, could have been in parts for sale or a dozen other places, but seeing as I am having a rave about these guys, and the great product and service I got, I wanted to put it here.

I was chasing a booster for one of my cars that had the VH44 die on a weekend trip last week and after getting a lead from a fellow club member (thanks Tony) tried out a company down here in Melbourne called HYDROBOOST (Terry (03) 9390-4811) well it turned out these guys have in stock remanufactured boosters of all flavours, he quoted a great price and hand delivered it to my door the following day, (free delivery).
It was like new, he also dropped of a couple of brouchers (can scan or post if anyone wants one), they do most booster types even the VH24's as original on a changover basis,
but even better, they will sell outright the later model boosters for those who just want to fit better brakes, they carry brackets and all associated gear as well, even spare parts for your booster.
Probably going on a bit but the service from these guys was fantastic! and hope this info can help someone else get what they need for their early as well.
Cheers
Matt :D
P.S. no I am not on commission! hehe
jamier

Post by jamier »

Hi Matt

A nice detailed post ...

Can I ask you -

I didnt think that FB's ever came with Brake Boosters as standard?? Were they ever a NASCO accessory for FB's?

Or are they just purely FB non standard? If so, what do you think is the ideal model/type setup for a stock FB Sedan?

Either way, I've been thinking about dropping one in my FB.

cheers
Jamie
earlyholdenfan

FB Boosted Brakes

Post by earlyholdenfan »

Hi Jamie,
From the information I have gathered from the experts, the FB/EK came out with a brake booster option from NASCO, see great pictures in accessories photo pages.
the booster used was a VH24, a smallish booster and these are now very difficult to find, recondition, and maintain.
The later drum braked cars came out with a better and more common booster, VH44 and the disc braked vehicle used a slightly larger booster again, the VH40.

If you are going to keep the drum brakes it is IMHO almost essential, having driven both (boosted and non boosted) to mount a booster. the difference is amazing

If you are changing to discs then you will have to fit the VH40.

Hope this makes it a little clearer for you, and as I was raving about HYDROBOOST in the original it would be remiss of me not to mention they have all of the brackets and stuff you will need to mount thw booster juat about anywhere at all! hehe
Matt
jamier

Post by jamier »

Thanks for the info Matt!

I'm currently overhauling the entire braking system on my FB.

I've got the car up on blocks at the moment with all the wheels / wheel cyclinders taken off.

I dont drive the car evey day (its in storage at my parents house) so I've had problems with the brake pistons seizing up (from non use). I've been advised to replace the alloy pistons with stainless stell pistons - which should match the stainless steel sleeve of the wheel cylinder itself. Hopefully then, with stainless steel set up all round, I should get less problems.

I'm also looking to pull the brake master cylinder off and put a rubber kit through it (there is a small leak).

So while I'm at it, I thought I might as well go the whole hog, and install a brake booster.

I'm definately going to call Hydroboost and get a quote for the VH44 and associated brackets.

Do you know if I will need to drill holes in the firewall to mount the brake booster on a standard FB? Or will it just attach to mountings/holes already there?

thanks again ...
Jamie
earlyholdenfan

Booster

Post by earlyholdenfan »

Sorry Jamie I should have mentioned all of these boosters are what are called "remote" boosters, they use your original master cylinder and the unit can be mounted on the inner fender skirt ot even up under the guard to keep the engine bay looking clean.
The brackets will have to be drilled and a couple of smmall bolts will ensure you will keep it all in place.
The difference in the braking power will astound you! and you will wonder how you ever drove it safely without them! hehe
I have even boosted the brakes on my FJ the difference is that good.
Stainless steel sleeves are definately the way to go so you don't have corrosion problems if the car is sitting, if you ever need a hand or advice on braking for your old girl, I have found the guys down at Hoppers Stoppers ( Hoppers Crossing) VERY helpful, and they have a couple of early Holden nuts down there! their web site is:
http://www.hoppers.com.au/
Check it out they are great and a huge section on better brakes for Oldens!
Matt
jamier

Post by jamier »

Matt;

thanks for the tip ...

I gave Peter from Hoppers Stoppers a call today - really nice guy!

He seems to know what he's talking about which is reassuring.

He recommended the VH44 setup for the FB.

He said he could send me everything that I need for the job in kit format:

* reconditioned vh44 ($300 to buy one on their own)
* brackets
* hoses
* etc ?

He wants $500 for the full kit. I think it sounds reasonable? What do you think? I thinking about taking him up on this offer.

cheers
Jamie
earlyholdenfan

Booster

Post by earlyholdenfan »

Sounds fair, Hoppers are by no means the cheapest around BUT and that is a big But, their gear is ALWAYS good stuff, service is excellent and they really know their stuff..
Wouldn't hurt before you part with the cold hard cash to speak to Terry at Hydroboost and see what he can do for you (03) 9390-4811
Cheers
Matt