Seagull Grey EK 2106

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: Seagull Grey EK 2106

Post by Harv »

That's different. Without the road-draught siphon, does it tend to fume a little?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Harv, drafting is still effected by the breather cap shield creating a slight low pressure behind it. Air flow throw the engine bay and under the car drags any fumes out and below the car. I flogged the car to Adelaide and back pretty much non stop and had no issues.

My theory is that oil carryover out the draft tube is due to the sheer volume of crankcase air exiting the draft tube, especially due to the fact I drive this car at high speed a lot (for its day). That and the issue with an amount of oil pooling inside the lower edge of the baffle plate didn't help.

I also removed the oil feed retstrictor to the rockers that I made up a while back so the oil draining back down the side plate and lifter area is a fair bit at high rpms. It is coping with this extra oil now where it didn't before. The new breather also has an extension tube that is larger in diameter than the original draft tube. Increase in diameter also assists in slowing down air speed and allows for any oil to drop out of suspension. Heavier than air oil mist will also find it difficult to go uphill!
Last edited by Craig Allardyce on Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Good logic 8).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
gpi

Post by gpi »

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Is that grey motor? Export? Vauxhall?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
gpi

Post by gpi »

Craig Allardyce

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Looking for a reason not to sell this set up, its doing my head in. Health reasons and lack of use are creeping in. Seriously torn.
DSC_2043.JPG
DSC_2043.JPG (118.44 KiB) Viewed 280 times
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Sorry to hear your having some health issues Craig - it's confronting for sure having some hanging over my head as well - I rationalise that these cars etc give me joy - That joy helps me fight through the doubt about my own self and lets me get on with my day with some kind of positivity so I keep them and look forward to any time I can spend with or on them.
If financial issues require then sell of course as health always trumps material belongings.
You will find me lost somewhere!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Sorry to hear about your health issues Craig. Maybe the museum would find some room for it while you convalesce. Be a real pity to sell.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

The side profile of the ute, canopy and van are perfect.

I've got my heart set on doing the grey nomad thing one day (if the kids don't kill me in the meantime :lol: ). This is the type of setup I would like to do it in.

Would it be as comfortable as a large 4WD? Would it get me into every muddy, out of the way place on the continent? Would it be an air conditioned, en-suite equipped sleep every night in a new van? Would the can have pop-up-everything?

Probably not.

Would it be damn fun? Would I get help from a lot of FB/EK people if I broke down and needed a flux capacitor out the back of Wilcannia? Would it make me grin like a Cheshire cat listening to the grey hum along the Stuart Highway?

Hell yes.

Keep it if you can.

Cheers,
Harv
rosco

Post by rosco »

Hi Craig,
sad to learn of your issues... PM sent.

Harv - grey nomad.... yes, yes and .... yes. This would be idyllic for a trip out into the never-never.
We have done the winter escape up north and west for 10 years now - 11th trip coming up soon.
We see many people out there in the scrub and wide open spaces. We have seen rigs of every proportion from giant 5th wheeler "Gin Palaces" right down to a woman who had been traveling Oz in an XY Falcon sedan... no trailer.. just the XY.
When it comes down to it, you simply make do with what you run..... the reality is "need".. everything else is "like".
We have found, our limitations are down to what we can do... stuff we can't, we either look for an alternative (tour) or leave it until a later time when we may be better equipped. However, we have nothing on that list.. yet.
We have friends with a small van and diesel tug... they want for nothing... and can get into places we are too big for.

I would be very disappointed if Craig cannot hang onto the rig above - I do appreciate the effort, discipline and splendid attention to detail he has committed to what all of us would dream to have... I very much hope there is an alternative which is not yet clear to mind which will enable him to retain this magnificent effort.

Having said this, nothing - absolutely nothing should ever compromise health... it's the one biggie that usually terminates this nomad travel life..

I am hoping Craig's issues are temporary - and do not ask for disclosure.

My thoughts are with you both and I wish for every relief.

frats,
Rosco
Redminch
State: INT

Post by Redminch »

PM sent

:vecctor: