Cam's FB Sedan

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

camstuart52
State: TAS

Re: Cam's FB Sedan

Post by camstuart52 »

Certainly doing it properly.,,,and safely but it also isn't going to be show car level.

Good, clean and practical
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Modifying a pristine, original everything low mileage car might devalue it but not one that needs paint , trim , etc anyway ......
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

Well she's certainly not pristine haha. Just have always wanted a v8 FB, and you can't beat the v8 note.

What floor shift do people use for a T400 etc, something like a Lokar setup?
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

camstuart52 wrote:What floor shift do people use for a T400 etc, something like a Lokar setup?
Easiest way is to run a cable shifter. I run a Hurst on my TH350. Similar products available from Lokar or B&M.

An alternative is to find a factory linkage to suit TH400 and mate it to the early Holden floor pan. A little harder as the cable-option lets you mount the shifter anywhere.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

why would you want to use a T400 behind a 253 ? Big, heavy , power robbing gearboxes and they wont bolt up to a 253 without an adaptor - go with a Trimatic .
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

I'm happy to use whatever the best options are cause I have to track down a engine and trans yet anyway. I'm assuming I can't go 308 due to the capacity increase hence the choice for the 253
Harv

Post by Harv »

You can go 308 within the current NCOP rules... you could even go 327 if you wanted.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK JAY

Post by EK JAY »

Hi Cam
8) I'm doing the 253 v8 conversion in my fb wagn check out my thread on here :thumbsup:
EK JAY SINCE 1990
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

Harv wrote:You can go 308 within the current NCOP rules... you could even go 327 if you wanted.
Oh ok....well that's good to know as it will most likely depend what options appear for sale. Is there any difference between a Holden v8 and a chev and how they fit? Does one fit better than the other or do they both have their own little idiosyncrasies?

I can get hold of a CRS Rack to suit the HR Front end, what's going to be the best column to use to suit it? I'm assuming I'll have to go collapsible?
Harv

Post by Harv »

camstuart52 wrote:
Harv wrote:You can go 308 within the current NCOP rules... you could even go 327 if you wanted.
Oh ok....well that's good to know as it will most likely depend what options appear for sale. Is there any difference between a Holden v8 and a chev and how they fit? Does one fit better than the other or do they both have their own little idiosyncrasies?

I can get hold of a CRS Rack to suit the HR Front end, what's going to be the best column to use to suit it? I'm assuming I'll have to go collapsible?
Both the plastic 308 and the SBC have their idiosyncrasies. The SBC fits in OK, but is tight around the fuel pump (swap to electrical pump), and drivers cylinder head (dent the firewall with a hammer).

The CRS rack requires a bit of work to the HR front end... it's not a bolt on job. Whilst the CRS option is cheap, it has a pretty poor turning circle compared to some of the other (more expensive) rack kits on the market. Yes, you will need a collapsible column. You can use LH/LX Torana (as I did), or a number of cut-and-shut options. Alien Retro make a number of columns to suit.

Cheers,
Harv
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

So either options viable in there own way!!!

Rack wise what are the other options? I had read the CRS racks had a truck turning circle but I did see the other option that people were using had retired and couldn't find to much other definitive options.

I'm happy purchase the right column to do the job, just wasn't sure if there was a bolt in from a different vintage or a similar cut and shut option.
Harv

Post by Harv »

camstuart52 wrote:Rack wise what are the other options?
As far as I remember, Southern Chassis Works, Rodtech, Castlemaine Rod Shop and V6 Conversions all have offered different rack conversions over the years. Some rear mount, some front mount. Big variety in $ and in performance.

Cheers,
Harv
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Mate I have used the V6 Conversions rear mounted rack on my FC Sedan and am doing the same on my FB/EK ute, good turning circle no bump steer but not cheap either.

Regards
Neil H
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

I knew the steering was going to be hard but wow.....haha

It's always hard to work out what the best option is budget wise/functionality wise. I think I'm ready to give up and stay grey hahaha
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

How close/easy would it be to get something along these lines to fit with an HR front end and rack? Or am i way off the mark with this column option?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-LH-To ... SwEK9TxyQL

Or is it just as simple to make a factory one work?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ORIGINAL-LH- ... SwnipWU8-W