Cam's FB Sedan

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

camstuart52
State: TAS

Re: Cam's FB Sedan

Post by camstuart52 »

Yeah I understand it's my car....the idea of a v8 is ideal but it's work/cost dependent. If it's not much more work between the Red 6 and a V8 then I'd happily do that.

Aside from a chassis kit what else would be needed aside from a collapsible column. Hr front and rear will be done and seat belts etc are already on the plan so the main extra would be chassis kit and cross members which my mate will knock up and the column. I wasn't expecting this but it will make a cool car and something I have always wanted to do.

I was just interested to know people's opinions and also what else might be needed
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

camstuart52 wrote:Aside from a chassis kit what else would be needed aside from a collapsible column.
It depends heavily on your engineers appetite for risk. Typical requirements include:
a) A dual braking system, with some engineers wanting a brake failure switch.
b) Windscreen washers.
c) Two speed windscreen wipers.
d) A windscreen demister.
e) An external rear vision mirror on the driver’s side of the vehicle,
g) Indicators.
h) A collapsible steering column.
I) Seat belts.
j) Disc brakes (some engineers will not accept the HR brakes on V8s)

Then there is the other stuff you need to make it run... bigger radiator, disk brake adaptors, new transmission......

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
MeFB
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by MeFB »

camstuart52 wrote:Aside from a chassis kit what else would be needed aside from a collapsible column.
A big wallet, and a willingness to accept that all the time and money spent will probably devalue your car.
Alan
Member No.1 of the FB EK Holden Car Club of WA (Woo-hoo :D sweet!)
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

Well that's how you paint a grim picture on a situation haha....but I guess any modification away from standard devalues the car.
Harv

Post by Harv »

camstuart52 wrote:Well that's how you paint a grim picture on a situation haha....but I guess any modification away from standard devalues the car.
A modified car can readily be worth more than a bog stock one (and vice versa). Some people value originality, some performance.

The real issue is that it would be very unusual for you to recoup all the costs of a V8 conversion if you decided to sell the car. If you are looking to make a quid on the car, converting it is not a great idea. If you are doing the job for your own enjoyment, then it can be fun.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

I'm doing this for enjoyment of the family and I driving it and passing it onto my son further down the track.

From this list i already have the want for most of it anyway from safety and functionality point of view.

1/upgrade disc brakes - HR Disc Front and Rear ends and already have a dual circuit MC
2/2 speed windscreen wipers and washers Already fitted, was going to upgrade
3/heater demister I'm in Tas.....no brainer haha
4/ front guard blinker indicators Side mount Will find out if this is required
5/rear vision mirrors on both doors (left and right). Already purchased
6/noise db level of 96db or less. With the kids in the back ill certainly be careful here
7/seat belts in all seating positions Kids again and already organised
8/collapsable steering column Probably the major change
9/and of coarse a engineering certificate.
10/Chassis kit as well Can get this organised through a work mate
11) Auto Hump$100 from ebay or get the boys at work to knock one up

I understand its more work and its the little things that add up......engine will be a small v8 (253) with an auto (T400 or the like) if i head this way and not the 186 with Celica 5 speed

Let me know if i've forgotten anyting
MeFB

Post by MeFB »

camstuart52 wrote:Well that's how you paint a grim picture on a situation haha....but I guess any modification away from standard devalues the car.
Sorry, does sound a bit grim doesn't it. Not meant that way.

It'll be a cool car either way.
Alan
Member No.1 of the FB EK Holden Car Club of WA (Woo-hoo :D sweet!)
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

Haha....its all good and i know it came from the right place

I'm not a 100% on it yet....might keep the grey and crash box but stick the HR Front and Rear ends under it for now and worry about it later, that will save a lot of hassle and $$$ until later on.
Harv

Post by Harv »

camstuart52 wrote:Haha....its all good and i know it came from the right place

I'm not a 100% on it yet....might keep the grey and crash box but stick the HR Front and Rear ends under it for now and worry about it later, that will save a lot of hassle and $$$ until later on.
One thing to be aware of is that some registration authorities (and insurers) view a HR front end as a significant change, and require an engineers certificate (even without a V8 in place). Certificates are expensive.... like several thousand dollars expensive. Not something you want to do twice.

Cheers,
Harv
Rusty EK

Post by Rusty EK »

Where in Hobart are you Cam , I can meet you somewhere and you can have a look at my ute , would give you an idea of how to go about fitting a v8 , I could also give you the name of my engineer 'to have a talk to.

If you can do most of the work yourself , I don't think there would be much difference cost wise between a six and eight , depending on what engine work you want or need .

Unless you are leaving it standard you are going to have to get an engineer involved anyway
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

Thanks Rusty that would be awesome.

I've got a mate who between him and myself can do it all. Engine wise I'll be heading towards a 253 etc as they are cheaper than Chevys and I'm after noise not power a this stage. Any help is appreciated

I'm based 10mins south of Sorell....yourself?
Rusty EK

Post by Rusty EK »

15 mins north , am down that way quite often , will send you a message when coming down next .
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

No worries

I'll be out Brighton way for work for the next 2 weeks starting next week also.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

camstuart52 wrote:...but I guess any modification away from standard devalues the car.

If the modifications are done right they shouldn't.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

Certainly doing it properly.,,,and safely but it also isn't going to be show car level.

Good, clean and practical