Gimme 5 years

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: Gimme 5 years

Post by Errol62 »

Around about post #110 onward. Geez my welding has improved since then.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
62ekute
State: ACT

Post by 62ekute »

thanks for the link - lots of good work there. I won't be tipping the car - it's in the driveway with a couple of blocks of wood under the front wheels for now. Probably ramps later (but I always bump into them).
rosco
State: VIC

Post by rosco »

Errol62 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:05 pm Around about post #110 onward. Geez my welding has improved since then.
I don't see anything wrong with your welds, Clay.....
By the way, how do we click on something to go to post 110... the only way I could find what you referred to was by page numbers....
Love to know your trick to get to 110...

frats,
Rosco
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

It is pretty easy to tip the bare shell over, front clip, suspension and wheels intact, so the roof gutter rests on a stack of wheels. Much easier than welding upside down.Image

Rosco I use Tapatalk on a mobile device, iPad or phone. There are no pages and you can navigate by post numbers. Should be a number with the date at the top of each post to a thread I think?

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
rosco

Post by rosco »

That rules me out, Clay - I don't use a phone for anything but phone calls, messages and as an alarm or a camera... no internet on our phones....
Guess I'll have to stick with the page numbers... but, you can't see those in Tapatalk.. we are divided by a cyber border...

frats,
Rosco
62ekute

Post by 62ekute »

yeah, you don't want internet access all over the place

1.png
1.png (314.1 KiB) Viewed 438 times
62ekute

Post by 62ekute »

yeah Greg, you said '5 years is doable if nothing else gets in the way' - could be a problem...the last project was a 4x4 Sprinter Campervan and we haven't been home much since

x.jpg
x.jpg (115.1 KiB) Viewed 438 times

yeah Clay, you said 'If your bonnet is straight, you might pick up a bent one with solid corners', luckily the previous owner started collecting bits, one of which is a spare bonnet in really good condition

spare bonnet.jpg
spare bonnet.jpg (31.3 KiB) Viewed 438 times

lots of welding ahead, so I'm a bit more comfortable with the tank out

petrol tank.jpg
petrol tank.jpg (139.97 KiB) Viewed 438 times
rosco

Post by rosco »

Re campervan.... I have a caravan..
Although we had it made for us, it takes up much of my time keeping it ready to go away.... there's always something to do with an RV..

I am well known in RV forums for my famous statement about caravans... "you can have a van, or a life - you can't have both"... next to a boat, or even worse - a horse... they consume a lot of money and time just "keeping" them...

But, nothing compares to being up north over winter when we see what the poor blighters down south are suffering and selflessly wearing our share of it..... sadly, this will be another year when we are two of those "poor blighters".....

frats,
Rosco
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

EK283 wrote:Im going EK,

Windscreen cowl is EK as well.

Good luck with the build and make sure there's plenty of progress pics.

5 years is doable if nothing else gets in the way.

Greg
Think Montana grey was only in EK’s from memory - commercial vehicles or standards

You’ll find me lost somewhere!
You will find me lost somewhere!
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

62ekute wrote:thanks for the link - lots of good work there. I won't be tipping the car - it's in the driveway with a couple of blocks of wood under the front wheels for now. Probably ramps later (but I always bump into them).
This is the colour in your ute used to be - looks a bit bluer in the sun ImageImageImageImage

You’ll find me lost somewhere!
You will find me lost somewhere!
62ekute

Post by 62ekute »

very nice ...

I won't be going for show quality (far from it) ... as long as it's solid and the right shape I'll be happy.

I'd scratch it up pretty quick
IMG_20190107_112343.jpg
IMG_20190107_112343.jpg (132.64 KiB) Viewed 419 times
IMG_20181229_123709.jpg
IMG_20181229_123709.jpg (128.06 KiB) Viewed 419 times
gpi

Post by gpi »

EJ20 conversion?
62ekute

Post by 62ekute »

gpi wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:53 pmEJ20 conversion?
nah, all of my cars end up close to standard
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

Patrick,

Your photo "Door bottom" looks very familiar to me. Over in FE/FC-land I have been facing the same trouble, although not quite as advanced as yours. My doors were only about 10% air/20% rust/70% sheet-metal. The horizontal part of the lower door frame is particularly susceptible to rusting out. I think that because of the way the panel was pressed, that section ended up being maybe 0.5 - 0.8 mm thick, and then the metal-mice set to work. If it's any consolation, fabricating repair sections is reasonably straightforward because you just have to put folds in a sheet.

Rob
62ekute

Post by 62ekute »

Yeah there's a fair bit of the doors that would have to be cut out and replaced - about the same as other bits of the car; but nah, I've decided to pick up a couple of good doors instead of repairing these. I've got enough fixing to do elsewhere, so a bolt on option here and there works for me.

maybe I'll get back to them for the sport of it sometime