Automatic EK

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Sigs
State: NOT ENTERED

Automatic EK

Post by Sigs »

Hi all,
I am looking at purchasing an ek wagon in good condition apart from the auto box which seems to have trouble finding gears.
Its not major and you can locate them with a bit of fiddling but I was purchasing the vehicle for my wife to drive.
Is this a common problem with the autos and is it easy to fix or am i going to end up replacing the box?
Mat Sigs
john116

Finding gears

Post by john116 »

Hey - do you mean it's hard to select a gear using the lever, or the box doesn't seem to shift into gear when it should?

If it's trouble with the lever, this is usually caused by worn linkages (there's lots of them).

I took all the linkages out of mine, and rebushed them where necessary, and it went from being a guess as to what gear the selector was in, to a solid 'click' into each position.

John
Sigs

Post by Sigs »

Hi John,
Yes its a guess as to what gear it is in, and if it is in gear at all. It doesnt click into gear at all. You just slide it back and forward until you feel some movement.
To find reverse you need to pull the lever all the way down and then up and down a few times until you feel it go in.
So was it an easy job and are the parts ok to find?
Trev

Post by Trev »

Sigs, you could always replace it with a trimatic, I here it's well worth the effort and I know someone who has a spare tri and addaptor for a really cheep price :wink: .
Trev 8)
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Sigs

Post by Sigs »

thankx Trev, I have posted you a pm.
john116

EK Hydramatic

Post by john116 »

It took some time, and had to make some parts, as I don't think there's any Hydramatic parts for EK Holdens around in terms of the linkages. I also found some second hand parts that were in much better condition than mine.

Despite all the bad press, the Hydramatic I find works really well. Very smooth changes.

John
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Hard to say exactly but I would look at the linkages first. Make sure thats right then the auto. Have you checked the fluid level in the auto?
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.