UTE stereo setup

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

skin_dog
State: NOT ENTERED

UTE stereo setup

Post by skin_dog »

Hey all, just wondering if anyone has done a hidden stereo install in a EK ute before? I only wish to install a good pair 6x9's. Possibly rounds with tweaters if i have to for fit sake. But once the head unit is in the glove box i can't think of a good enough way to hide the speakers. Does'nt seem to be much room in the doors or the kickpanels. Suggestions?
Also if you feel like shedding some light on another tech questions i've jumped in on a thread started by hammondo entitled 'will sedan/wagon seat go into ute?'
Thanks again guys.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Bit hard to squeeze 6x9's into a ute! My mates EH ue had them behind the seat and sticking into the tray area unprotected (previous owner). Sounded muffled with a bench seat in. Maybe try and mount them under the dash? Sort of like an upside down parcel shelf. But that will make it difficult to access any wiring under the dash.

The only other option is to make custom kick panels.
Not the best pic but you get the idea. Fourth pic.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
stinky
State: SA

Post by stinky »

I am doing some pano kick panels at the moment and I am mounting some 6" speakers in some pods you can buy from car accessory places.
DR's idea to mount them upside down under the dash is good, or build a speaker box to mount under the dash on the trans hump.
EKSPCL

Post by EKSPCL »

Go for the kick panels as Devilrod said.
Easy to replace whenever you want.

Found this after a bit of a google.....

http://www.girlsnmotors.co.uk/car-modif ... b-box.html

Chick site but hey, right idea, just scale it down :!:
My 6yr old daughter said
"Dad your car's looking great! Which end is the front?"
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

All great suggestions guys thanks, and now i realise i've got lots of thinking to do. I do especially like the under the dash idea, it'd be a lot easier if the ute wasn't off undergoing surgery....maybe i'm getting ahead of myself ? :lol:
dave68
State: QLD

Post by dave68 »

I plan to put mine under the seats ( I have buckets ) with the amp. The sub or doof box is going between the seats in a consol that I want to run to all the way to the parcle tray. Nice dream :? :? , might come true.
By the way is there any sheet metal workers out there in Sydney town that want to have a go at a metal glove box with the plate for the header unit to go in :?: :?:
Whatever....:(
stinky
State: SA

Post by stinky »

dave68 wrote:By the way is there any sheet metal workers out there in Sydney town that want to have a go at a metal glove box with the plate for the header unit to go in :?: :?:
How soon do you need it? I am looking to develop one for head-units using 3mm compressed foam (like plastic almost) if you can wait a few weeks.
dave68
State: QLD

Post by dave68 »

I am in no rush, still have rust in the plemun drain( I think it is called that ) on the pass side. When it rains the passenger gets wet feet :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: , but I stay dry. I want the stero in by the end of November as i plan its' first long road trip in 7 years to Brisvegaus for the transplant :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .
So when you get them done show us and you might be able to sell one to me. By the way I need it to be smaller as I have nut sert were the self tapping screws used to go. Replace with 4mm button head.... I got boared one day :) :)
Whatever....:(