aussie 4 speed hydraulic clutch.

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

matches
State: NOT ENTERED

aussie 4 speed hydraulic clutch.

Post by matches »

hi can anyone tell me if there is a clutch slave cylinder for an aussie 4 speed box that i don't need to buy an adapter for? i have no slave cylinder or piping to one at the moment so i'd make one up but i can't seem to find one that bolts straight to the side of the bellhousing.
any help would be great,
L&K
Thommo

Post by Thommo »

I'm only guessing, but,
If someone manufactured a adaptor to do the job,
its because there wasn't one avaliable.
matches

Post by matches »

no worries, i was just wondering why there are the holes on the bellhousing to mount one, but no slave cylinder that atatches straight to it.
L&K
Dee

hydraulic clutch

Post by Dee »

Hi,
the General made a hydraulic version available for left hand drive exports. I think they were from HQ onwards - but might have been back as far as HK - I dunno

It used the grey slave silinder but bolted on with a steel adapter - don't know about how the piping made its way across the firewall - but it was probably a different firewall to LHD models - I dunno. never seen one.

Rare's have the adapter - and may CRS also have them it uses the same Oz 4 or three speed sincro bellhousing. It just bolts into the holes which are already there.

You can use the existing piping down to the subframe anchor then fit a stainless braided flexible hose from there to the silinder - need to talk with Pirtek and get them to make one up with the needed connectors.

Hope this helps

Dee
matches

Post by matches »

thanks dee, that does help a lot. it explains my confusion totally. now i've just got to go buy one.
L&K
Smooth customs

Post by Smooth customs »

Dellow Automotive were the first aftermarket manufacturer to make these brackets in the late 60's and still makes them today.

What motor are you putting the 4 speed behind?

The picture shows the cast bracket bolted to the side of the 4 speed bellhousing, the slave cylinder bolts to it.

matches

Post by matches »

thanks for the pic smooth, i'll give them a ring.
i'm putting it behind the hot 186 in my fb/ek thread.
P.S: i love your gear lever set up, custom built or bought?
L&K
Dee

pic

Post by Dee »

Yep, that's the deal - won't find one any cleaner than Smooth Customs pic

One think I forgot - you might want to grind a bit away from the inner subframe leg where the hose is going to join at the slave silinder - I did mine as a prevention - it didn't wear through the rubber hose but took the paint off the subframe.

Still think the braided hose is the go - its thinner and can be turned around on a banjo bolt to point in any direction you want.

And another thing - you may want to pack the mount with a washer or two - I wore out my slave silinder because the alinement was out - it was pushing towards one side of the silinder and scored it - thats what the brake people told me when I asked about having it reslevved - cheaper to get a replacement from Bursons or Repco than have it lined with a stainless silinder.

By the way - when you come to speedo cable - get one longer than mine - I got one 60 inches and it is a real tight pull to get to couple up to the speedo in my dash. Probably another 6 inches woould be good.

Dee
Smooth customs

Post by Smooth customs »

The shifter was moved forward to clear the bench seat.

Other photos of this conversion in a post further down the page, Finished OZ 4 speed

Dellows may be able to supply you with longer speedo cable