Volvo disc brakes & diff?

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Yeah mate, the setup I have boosts front and rear.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
vintageholden
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by vintageholden »

i would be interested in that setup as well
where did you get the dif and how much please
also told they come in LSD
NoMAD

Post by NoMAD »

Vintage,

Euro Auto Parts or Euro Car Parts i can't remember the exact name from Maddington/Kenwick is where i got the diff from for $150, for everthing including tailshaft.

The LSD diffs are extremely hard to find, basically told if you can find one get it and then name your price to any one, i believe some 4x4 shops have dana centres which can turn the volvo's into LSD however it starts getting pricey!

Cheers
NoMAD
Malcolm

volvo disc brake rear

Post by Malcolm »

Hey Nomad,

I too am interested in the volvo diff set up. How close does it come to a 13 inch original wheel fitting

Cheers
Malcolm W.
NoMAD

Post by NoMAD »

didn't think they were 13's on your car mal :lol:

is there something your not telling us....?

well i know 14's fit, i think i've got an orignal 13 up in the back shed, i will try and throw it on a disk & axle and see if it fits or not, i'm not sure however...

will let you know in a day or 2

Cheers
NoMAD
Malcolm

volvo disc brake rear

Post by Malcolm »

Thanks Nomad,

and yes
Malcolm W.
(AUST)Mod

Post by (AUST)Mod »

NoMAD if you want some 13's to try out I have some that just became redundant :D
Craig wrote: Andrew you have a red so I wouldn't race it :wink:

Malcolm

volvo disc brake rear

Post by Malcolm »

Hey Aust Mod,

I was just trying to find out if the 13 inch holden rims fits over the Volvo brakes.
Malcolm W.
(AUST)Mod

Post by (AUST)Mod »

Hey Mal,

I was just offering some if he didn't have one to try out :)
Craig wrote: Andrew you have a red so I wouldn't race it :wink:

karsten

Post by karsten »

hey mal i just got a ute that has a volvo diff with 13 inch dragways and has one booster under the bonnet,, and is super responcive,,

my question to you all is whats the bennifit of this diff over the holden diff bar the disc brake setup as ive not seen this setup and am thinking of going back to a standard diff,,

ive got it behind a trimatic 186 ,and does seem high reving ,, so the ratios are of intrest to me , is there numbers stamped on the pinion sharft to determine the ratio i have :?: :?: and how do i figure out what model it come from if i want to change ratio :?: :?: and does any one have a sucsessfull hand brake setup they can show some pics of as this setup is not so effective

also whoever put this in redrilled the dragways to suit the volvo so ive got 2 stud patterns im told by the guy i got it of ,, is there any way to get them the same incase of flat tyres ,, or is he uninformed and they are the same :?:

cheers karsten
when they start building them like that again i will buy a new car of them
Malcolm

volvo disc brake rear

Post by Malcolm »

Hey Karsten,

The only reason they interest me is for the disc brake set up. But I need something that will fit standard 13 inch HR rims too.

I don' t know about how to tell the diff ratio. As far as I thought they had a tag on the diff bolt itself. Failing that maybe it has something on the crown wheel same as the holdens.

Mal
Malcolm W.
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

I think from memory the volvo diffs were a borg warner centre ( no Volvo expert here... I hate 'em :evil: ) so it's possible the ratio is stamped on the crownwheel.

To work out the ratio without taking the coverplate off........

Take off the disc calipers on both sides, maybe the disc as well wouldn't hurt.

Have an assistant ready.

Mark one or both axles in the 12 o'clock position with some paint or liquid paper or whatever.

Get the assistant to watch the axle position whilst you turn the diff pinion.

Count the number of turns the diff pinion turns to make the axle turn once.

That number is the ratio number.

For example:-

If you have to turn the pinion 3.36 times for one turn of the axle then that diff centre is a 3.36 to 1 ratio diff.

Hope that helps.
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
karsten

Post by karsten »

on truck diffs they stamp to sets of numbers into the pinion shaft and you divide the bigger number by the little number and it tells you the ratio ie 3,7,, was hopeing cars were the same but thats a handy tip fb mad , will try that ,,,,also i mesured the distance be tween nuts front and back and they are the same so i will investigate it a bit more and let you know,, but they are definatly 13 inch dragway rims and they clear the brake ,and are single circut single booster and work exelent compared to my sedan with drums that is in comparison funny scarey :roll:
when they start building them like that again i will buy a new car of them