Couple of questions about wheels....

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EK61_STU
State: NOT ENTERED

Couple of questions about wheels....

Post by EK61_STU »

Howdy, I recently bought myself a beautiful looking straight '61 EK. She looks stock standard from the outside (I'll post some pics soon) but she has been engineered and has a 186 in her. She's got drum brakes but has an HZ booster. I am also told she has an HZ g'box but to be honest I don't really know for sure as this car stuff is a tad new to me. What I do know is she drives beautifully with no rattles or shakes and I am pretty fond of her!!!!

I have been looking at your website for a while now and really enjoy reading the posts and checking out the pics.

Anyway I reckon my old girl needs to be lowered and I am also keen to put some wider wheels on her. She still has the original rims. So my questions are:

1: What is the best distance to lower her? 1.5" or 2"?
2: What exactly is the stud pattern? ie 5 x 105, 108 etc?
3: Is it the same stud pattern as EH?
3: Do 14 x 7 rims scrape? I think I would be fitting either 215/60 or 205/60, maybe lower profile tyres than that.
4: Would 15 x 7 look too small?
5: Can anyone point me in the right direction for wider rims? Am looking for near new condition to go along with her appearance. Even something like Dragway Indys would look good too I reckon (I'm in Sydney but am prepared to frieght if necessary).

It would be great to hear your thoughts and any information will be greatly appreciated. And as I said I will post some pics soon.

Cheers

Stu
Devilrod
State: VIC

Re: Couple of questions about wheels....

Post by Devilrod »

Welcome Stu,
Sounds like you got the bug!
EK61_STU wrote:Anyway I reckon my old girl needs to be lowered and I am also keen to put some wider wheels on her. She still has the original rims. So my questions are:

1: What is the best distance to lower her? 1.5" or 2"?

2" Minimum :twisted: But I would get your rims and tyres first as they may dictate how low.....
EK61_STU wrote:2: What exactly is the stud pattern? ie 5 x 105, 108 etc?

Don't know off the top of my head :?
EK61_STU wrote:3: Is it the same stud pattern as EH?
Yep! Also Volvo, but offsets may vary. Cheap way of getting alloys...
EK61_STU wrote:3: Do 14 x 7 rims scrape? I think I would be fitting either 215/60 or 205/60, maybe lower profile tyres than that.
It all comes down to offset and how much you have lowered the car. But front quite probably, rear maybe not.. I have run 14x7 with 235/50's but a slitghtly taller tyre would have looked better (it was lowerd 2"inches with lip shaved off, not my doing)
EK61_STU wrote:4: Would 15 x 7 look too small?
Nope. Depends on what look you want
EK61_STU wrote:5: Can anyone point me in the right direction for wider rims? Am looking for near new condition to go along with her appearance. Even something like Dragway Indys would look good too I reckon (I'm in Sydney but am prepared to frieght if necessary).
Most tyre places can get Dragway's in or hunt around the swap meets

Anything is possible, I'll be running 14x5 with 185/75 Thin whitewalled Hancooks, so I can get the car really low and not scrape... 8)
Plus I like a more old style approach...
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
EK61_STU
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by EK61_STU »

Thanks Devilrod the info is much appreciated. And yep you are right I do have the bug!! I agree with the lowering too, I reckon maybe 3" would like sweet. The bug started with an EH (probably shouldn't be saying that on this forum :D ). She is mint and totally original with full service history and EVERY receipt since new. I have been trying to decide which one to keep and it looks like the EH has to go. I just love the shape of the EK, and the fact that she has a bit more go..... Toss up between original and tinkered with....The EK wins I reckon :P