WTB / grey motor

Need something for your daily driver or to finish off that project?

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

DanFranko
State: NOT ENTERED

WTB / grey motor

Post by DanFranko »

Guys,

I am toying with the idea of getting a complete grey motor to put on an engine stand. I want to take the time to show my little guy as he gets older (he’s only turning 4) the basics of what makes an old Holden tick. Probably good for me to practice tearing down and reassembling again as well.

So, if anyone has any leads on a very cheap unit, please keep me in mind. If an ex-tafe (or such) unit is out there already on a stand, that would be ideal.

I am in Perth and have a trailer. There’s absolutely no hurry.

Thanks in advance

Dan
Harv
State: NSW

Re: WTB / grey motor

Post by Harv »

Having a running spare is not a bad idea. When things go pear-shaped with the road car, you have an engine (or working parts) ready to swap in. You can then chase the parts at your leisure. It also gives you running bits to swap in/out during troubleshooting.

An engine stand (the 3-legged version) is OK, but puts the engine weight up very high. They can be moved around, but are very top-heavy... it would not take much to topple one sideways. Even with a front brace (from the forward leg back up to the front engine mount) I would not be too game to fire one up on a stand.

An engine cradle is perhaps easier. The weight is lower, and they trundle around readily without toppling. The SBC engine stands can be modified to hold the grey motor without welding. The engine can be run on a cradle, either by short runs (no radiator) or by running the garden hose through the water neck (without a thermostat, for longer runs). The sound of an un-muffled grey will make the young fella grin.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

You after a runner or a rebuilder ? I know of a runner for $500ish ? I get offered rebuilders all the time , should be able to get one of those next time , usual going rate is $50-100
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
DanFranko

Post by DanFranko »

Harv wrote:Having a running spare is not a bad idea. When things go pear-shaped with the road car, you have an engine (or working parts) ready to swap in. You can then chase the parts at your leisure. It also gives you running bits to swap in/out during troubleshooting.

An engine stand (the 3-legged version) is OK, but puts the engine weight up very high. They can be moved around, but are very top-heavy... it would not take much to topple one sideways. Even with a front brace (from the forward leg back up to the front engine mount) I would not be too game to fire one up on a stand.

An engine cradle is perhaps easier. The weight is lower, and they trundle around readily without toppling. The SBC engine stands can be modified to hold the grey motor without welding. The engine can be run on a cradle, either by short runs (no radiator) or by running the garden hose through the water neck (without a thermostat, for longer runs). The sound of an un-muffled grey will make the young fella grin.

Cheers,
Harv
Thanks Harv. That’s some great advice. I would like to sort a cradle, rather then a traditional engine stand. One of my neighbours is a welder, so I might hit him up for some help. If I can get it running it would be perfect to test fit some bits and pieces and yep, definitely handy come the time I need to rebuild the donk in the EJ! I actually have space and a workshop at home for the first time ever and the little guy is mad for old Holden’s already.

Cheers

Dan
DanFranko

Post by DanFranko »

Blacky wrote:You after a runner or a rebuilder ? I know of a runner for $500ish ? I get offered rebuilders all the time , should be able to get one of those next time , usual going rate is $50-100
Hey Blacky

I am waiting to see how the next few weeks pan out before I decide how much surplus cash I have. A runner would be great and good to know what they roughly cost. But, the challenge of recommissioning a non-runner might be fun too.

I might have a lead for a complete motor from a former workmate. He’s happy to let it go for a carton.

I’ll update once i get sorted and thanks for the advice

Cheers

Dan