Vacuum Source for VH24 Brake Booster

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Stygian
State: NSW

Vacuum Source for VH24 Brake Booster

Post by Stygian »

Given that my grey motor has a lumpy cam in it, chances are there won't be enough intake manifold vacuum to run a VH 24 booster. I'm just wondering then if the vacuum pump underneath an FB fuel pump would be up to the task of providing enough vacuum for this size booster. I'd like to run a booster is possible (I'm using EJ brakes) but I don't want to fork out for an aftermarket vacuum pump. Has anybody tried this?

Andrew
Harv

Re: Vacuum Source for VH24 Brake Booster

Post by Harv »

I could be wrong, but it doesn't feel right (the poor old wiper motor pumps struggle with windshields... let alone pulling up a screaming grey :D :shock: ).

Aftermarket pump and perhaps vacuum tank (tank stuffed under a guard with a stone shield?) sounds closer (pricey, though I guess cheap insurance after working so hard on the motor).

Maybe give Hoppers or Burt Bros a call - I guess they've done lumpy cam grey brakes before.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Mick

Post by Mick »

was also gunna sujest vacume tank, although i've run some big cams and never really had any vacume probs
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Stygian

Post by Stygian »

Thanks Harv and Mick, sounds like I'm going to have to do some research and maybe a bit of trial and error once the car's mobile.

Andrew
Harv

Post by Harv »

Make sure the handbrake is adjusted properly first, 'cause once it's mobile the temptation to give it a run in the backyard, even with poor brakes, is overwhelming (don't ask.... :oops: :lol: ).
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Stygian,

Maybe give ACE (Chris) from the FEFC forum a yell?

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.ph ... 182.0.html

Cheers,
Harv
Stygian

Post by Stygian »

I'm not a member of that forum Harv, so I can't send him a PM. Do you reckon you could get Chris' phone number for me?

Thanks for spotting this mate.

Andrew