3:08 diff in HR housing

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

reddo
State: NOT ENTERED

3:08 diff in HR housing

Post by reddo »

Yo..
Just pulled a 3:08 diff centre out of a HR i am fiddling with.
Gunna chuck it in the FB van whch has a HR rear end/ housing .

The 3:08 has 2 extended housing bolt holes at the bottom.
which require long bolts to reach the housing
HR housing has only the bottom hole with a thread in it. Just wandering what you guys with 3"08s in HR rear ends have done to get a thread in the left side bolt hole. On a normal HR housing there is a stud pressed into a spilne. I have to knock this out... and that means no thread to take the left side long bolt??
Was thinking nutcert ...debcon the nut in the housing??... would be better if i weld a nut in the housing.. how do ya weld a nut on the inside of the banjo ?????.
Any suggestions.???????????
I asked the son where the diff came from ( it was his HR until last week) ??
He said he pulled it out of a LH torana that had 2 bolts through the long housing holes...
How did ya tighten the lower left bolt??
"I didnt .. i just knocked the stud out and used silastic to hold the bolt in place to stop the oil running out !!! "...... :shock: :shock: :shock: ... i fainted.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... i wandered why there was all slinging all over the fuel tank etc...... :oops:
Lucky i got to it when i did .. a few hundred K and the diff would have run out of oil... one rooted 3:08 centre :evil:

He is not my son.... honestly.... he is the offspring of some bush mechanic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reddo
Holden .. australian car for australian conditions.....partyin', drinkin' ,cruisin' and rootin'
Mick
State: NSW

Re: 3:08 diff in HR housing

Post by Mick »

i've done the silastic thing, ive put a long bolt through from the inside (pain in the rrrs) but the one i like is weld a nut inside the housing, just put a bolt through and tighten the nut up on it then weld nut in place :)
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
thropzed
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: 3:08 diff in HR housing

Post by thropzed »

My mechanic pulled the stud out and put in a long stud and drilled and tapped for the other with long stud. EH diff housing
Cheers Theo Z.........................
Watch for the early bird, He might be just getting home.

FB/EK Car Club of QLD.