Project 2.

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Project 2.

Post by Blacky »

OK , stupid question maybe but that’s what I am good at - can you not use a solenoid and make an electric version ? Solenoid off a starter motor could be utilised , make the cables longer and hide it off the top of the rocker cover maybe down near the coil ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Brett027
State: NSW

Post by Brett027 »

Yes, you could do that. You could also put a small solenoid on each carburetor choke lever. It is limitless what you could do if you had the skills, time or money. On the other hand you could do what Holden did and then have a cup of tea and digestive.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

I like your thinking Blacky - and your attitude Brett. My thoughts went straight to solenoid, or spring, or even weighted assist. But I generally come up with the hardest ways to do the simplest things.
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Update on body work: photos attached!

A car sitting in a Nissan showroom in Tokyo. Looked pretty wild.
Attachments
PXL_20231109_032852453.jpg
PXL_20231109_032852453.jpg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 649 times
PXL_20231109_032903524.jpg
PXL_20231109_032903524.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 649 times
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

looks like a Japanese equivalent of a cyber truck ...........
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Those wheels might work on the ute?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Very futuristic there Brett does it fly as well :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like you need another set of wheels Clay :roll: :roll:
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Oh shit, I meant Brett's ute of course.

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Updates:
Ute paintwork (clear) has still not been sanded and buffed which is appalling I know.
However, there have been some minor upgrades in the last few months and week:
The brakes are now working well, and the steering and alignment are pretty much as they should be on the road. It's still heavy around the yard but has good solid feel at speed.
I had a tonneau cover (what a strange word) made by United Trimmers in Goulburn, and it's a beauty. Had been waiting on the fitting of this before doing the paint buff.
Latest job was fitting an Ice Ignition system. A bit of overkill but you are only young once....A noticeable difference and something like 18 timing curves available at the flick of a switch. I am not using the vacuum advance function. Module is fitted under the passenger seat and the coil is mounted on the steering reinforcement bracket. Just needed to extend the existing coil and tacho wires to reach and also extend the module wiring harness 500mm to get the length needed to mount the module under the seat. If the under dash area wasn't crammed full of air con stuff, the module could have gone up in there. I had a knock-off black motor Bosch type on it and noticed a difference straight away. The other thing I noticed was that the full-on crackle in the radio dissapeared with it.
I spoke with the Ice people about a few things and they were most helpful. Based in Melbourne. The module has a blue light on it when activated, and it confirmed what I had long suspected: the ignition wasn't on when starter motor was engaged. Sorted that as well.
Air con update: it's a cracker! I have it on the lowest current setting and it cools the cab in a couple of minutes with outside temp at 31.
Fan update: I have been a bit concerned that there is no shroud around my engine fan and this is exacerbated by having the aircon condensor tacked on the front. Installed a 12inch Davies Craig fan with a radiator fin sensor unit to help. No dramas on the road before, but guage shot up 20 degrees in about 20seconds while waiting at roadworks so figured I need to do something.
Brett update: spent a few weeks in Japan to have a squiz. Very enjoyable.
Attachments
20230920_154601.jpg
20230920_154601.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 534 times
20231120_160145.jpg
20231120_160145.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 534 times
Last edited by Brett027 on Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Sounds like you are really getting things sorted Brett, Barney looks pretty good in the picture the tonneau looks great.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks for the update and glad to hear it is going well. That ignition module sounds very cool. Tonneau is a funny word. By the way it refers to the rear cargo area, so pedantically, you have a tonneau cover. Don't rest a hot map torch on it like I did.....

EK van on rotisserie
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Great update Brett! Was really hoping to hear good things re Air Con. What size is your alternator? I have a crazy idea that I could put the AC unit in the boot instead of under the dash, and send the cool air up a centre console and return warm air via the rear parcel shelf - at the moment the idea is not very well formed or informed!
Love Japan too - was there earlier in the year.
IMG_1534.jpeg
IMG_1534.jpeg (511.46 KiB) Viewed 529 times
IMG_1369.jpeg
IMG_1369.jpeg (440.94 KiB) Viewed 529 times
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Hi Scott. Alternator is 160 amps at 200rpm from memory. Not needed for the low setting the compressor is on- I think aircon pulls 40amps or so. Overkill. I should say as well that the unit is very quiet- you can't hear it running while sitting in the cabin even with the engine not running.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Looks very tidy Brett and the tonneau cover fits great. You answered my other question re compressor current draw of 40amps, thanks. Don’t think my stock generator will get anywhere near that 🙁

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Easiest conversion job ever to swap from a generator to internal regulator alternator on a grey motor and well worth it.
Sucker for a rusty bomb