Project 2.

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Brett027
State: NSW

Re: Project 2.

Post by Brett027 »

Yes,thanks Billy. I have the GM style combination valve which is notorious for locking out rear lines while bleeding. In this case, not the problem. I have that gizmo that locks the slide and it's not the dual circuit protection valve needing a reset that is the fault. It's got the wrong prop valve spring in it and the master isn't making enough pressure to unseat it. Simple fix but not expected. I have a nice reco original Holden valve ready to go, but to fit it I would have to remake the first length of rear brake line which is quite a complex piece of pipe. Just can't be asked🙄
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

A few jobs sorted.
Adjusted clutch fork fulcrum post to get better action. Also installed a return spring on lever.
Spent a few hours shimming the steering box to better align it to column which has resulted in slightly lighter steering.
Rejetted CD150s from 6E needles to 6J. 6E are the standard LC XU1 Torana needle but running a bit lean for me. In the process discovered that when I put the colourtune sparkplug on number1 there was no spark. Number 1 lead (brand new set last week) was faulty. Engine back to a puuring roar now🤗
Spent a whole day setting up tripple choke mechanism. Painfull, but necessary job. Had to install a non genuine choke inner as original was not long enough. Not happy with look but no choice. Chokes are heavy but work a treat.
Picture of choke setup for tripple enthusiasts
Attachments
20230907_132359.jpg
20230907_132359.jpg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 636 times
Sucker for a rusty bomb
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Looking good Brett. How have you done the 3 into 1 on the choke? Is that a bracket mounted to the head? From memory mine just floated above the rocker cover and occasionally rattled against it with a rough idle.
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Yes I made a bracket with 2 legs that uses rocker cover bolts to secure it. The 3 in one gizmo is very clunky but is best available at the moment.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks Brett and nicely done. I’ve stalled on this aspect currently, chokes being the least of my worries. When I was working on it one of the issues I had was that the original choke wire, being thinner than the Torana reproduction would pull out of the clamp mechanism with the force required to pull all three chokes. The solution seemed to be to run one cable full length on the centre phase, requiring a longer than original choke wire.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

It looks tidy under the bonnet. Is it the dashboard side that you aren’t happy with the look of?

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Yes a horrible small modern knob. I am thinking I might section the original and glue it on to the new one! Otherwise source an original cable that's 60 inches long....
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

So you have one continuous wire for the centre Brett?

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Yes, thats how they were done in the day. Couple of close up pics.
Attachments
20230907_182952.jpg
20230907_182952.jpg (4.02 MiB) Viewed 611 times
20230907_183031.jpg
20230907_183031.jpg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 611 times
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yep thanks. I’ll have to do same.

EK van on rotisserie
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Hey Brett, thanks for the pics and description. I am going to have to have a hunt around to see how mine was set up but pretty sure it was 3 short into 1 long to the dash. Definitely was a standard choke knob. What is the advantage/reasoning behind running the centre all the way through?
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Hi Scott, it requires a lot of force to pull all three at once and if you join the choke cable to a short one with just a screw clamp trying to clamp 2 cables at once, the risk is that it will slip. With a long centre one clamped at the carburetor and with the screw on the fitting as it goes through it is much more secure.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

If you find that the choke setup is not working to your liking (too stiff, knob not right etc) then one option is to run the choke on only the centre carb. It's not the best thing for giving equal fuel to all cylinders, but the plenum manifold will help even it out a little (... not much worse than the original single Strommie). You won't be running the car long with the choke on either. You're not living down in cold, cold, cold Victoria, so would likely get away with it.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Yes, I tried it on one, but engine was very rough and I didnt feel it was a good thing to do. My original cable only reached to the firewall carb so that wasn't helpful either. As we are still getting minus 4 on some mornings, a choke is a useful tool. Not having accelerator pumps makes it a necessary working component. And because of my personailty disorder, I dont enjoy jobs half done😁
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yes it slips. Mine isn’t too bad just choking the centre carb. You get the idle up on all three due to linkages. But as you say stock cable only reaches the rear carb. Fitting original knob to a longer cable, I reckon that is an idea. I was thinking longer wire to original knob and rod but too much strain. Maybe take the stainless centre out, drill through, slip over and replace centre. But the old Bakelite is brittle. Almost need a separate thread for this.

EK van on rotisserie