Brodie's EK.

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

J
State: WA

Re: Brodie's EK.

Post by J »

looking forward to the next update (in six months time ;) )
at least you're getting closer. Good job
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

Good stuff Brodie. Nice attention to detail with the undercarriage.

Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Brodie
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Brodie »

Cheers WW :)

J, when your barely getting two days every week in on the car its hard to make progress :( But yeah getting there... kinda.. ishh.. sort of....

Thanks Stewart, pity no one will ever see it haha :roll:
[img]http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww162/brodie_mitchell/av-49951.gif[/img]
Trev

Post by Trev »

Looking great Brodie, just a thought about the length of your exhaust, I had a nice chrome tip fall off mine coming home from a nationals trip so the end was under the boot (like yours), nearly chocked to death with the fumes that were sucked through the boot :shock: .
I hope you don't have the same problem :wink: :D .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
kelleigh54

Post by kelleigh54 »

No..... He has not sold the EK as an unfinished project . But I might sell it for him .
Rego before Santa cums , We hope . then an update .
I would rather work on a Morris 1100 than use a computer !!!!!!
MR HP

Post by MR HP »

UPDATE? lol
Family Cars
Mum:Cream 64 EH Special
Dad:63 EH Premier (In The Build)
Mine:Blue 69 HK Kingswood Wagon
Family:White 98 VT Executive Commodore, 85 MK Patrol Turbo Diesel

[url]http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11815[/url]
Brodie

Post by Brodie »

Time for a very overdue update..... A shitload has happened since me last post.. So its a lengthy one, if you take the time to read it, get comfy... it'll take a while.

I never sold the EK, nor did my old man.. Santa came, and rego.... i'll get to that shortly...

I've played baseball since i was a tacker and its always been my dream to become professional and play for a living, i've been busting my arse to try and achieve this for many years now hoping one day i can get signed and work my way up to the "big leagues". I mentioned it earlier on this thread that i buggered my arm real bad, i fractured my elbow and tore my mcl ligament. i had surgery june 2010 and was coming back with alot of positive signs, long story short, i was close to finishing my rehab proccess when i got noticed by a college in America, they offered me a scholarship, i took it and now im over there playing baseball and studying for my mechanical engineering degree. I've been here for nearly a month now and what an experience its been already!! The season starts in a few weeks, i cant wait to get stuck into it.

I'd been trying to juggle work, baseball and the EK for agers and it wasnt workin. Then around October the baseball offer came along. I was real close to getting the EK done so dad and i decided we really needed to hit it hard and get it done so i could atleast have a drive of the bloody thing before i left! We made good progress but come the end of November, to get it done we knew we had to spend atleast a solid week straight on it. So Dad and i both took time of work. We gave it our best shot and kept on going even when we were ready to strangle each other(i didnt tho, he's waaay too old and fragile). We finally got the car to a stage where it was lets say 'moving under its own power' and driving. This is a couple weeks before crissy, we took it to get tuned and dyno'd only to find the motor was beyond the need of a tune.. The bottom end was flogged out and needed rebuilding!! YEEHAAA! I thought it was the end of the world rah rah rah and decided to give in... but then the blokes at work twisted me arm into givin it one more crack.. we thought we'd try finish off the last little bits and get it running as best we could and limp it through the pits, so i could at least get it rego'd and have some driving time, even if it was running like a pig. So then my mates from work Chris and Trav took time off their work and off building their own cars and spent a few days on it with me. Finally, besides how the motor ran, the car was finished!! Buuut other issues kept rearing their heads as they do and the engineers paperwork wasnt ready after it all anyway, so eventually dad and i got real about it and ended up yanking the motor out which is now at HPaddicts shop(Boz-Race and Mechanical) getting built. Then i took me bat and ball and fled the country in tears. Well not quite......... im a pitcher so i didnt take a bat :)

Yes i'll STFU and post some pictures, i know... I dont have a great deal. I took a shitload just before i left but in the rush i forgot to download them.
So theres quite a few of certain things but bugger all of others... When i head back home for break i'll chuck some more up of mods and bits ive missed.
Alot of them are taken on a shitty phone so sorry about the quality.

Got my bonnet hinges finished, originally VE bootlid, had to cut modify the top plate in order to take original bonnet holes. Also spun up some alloy spacers to pull the hinges in a little to get the right distance between bolt holes from left to right of bonnet, also had to mill them on an angle to make the hinges true and square to the car (they originally lean in). Unfortunately i had to narrow the gutter rails to clear the hinges. They also have gas struts on them now but dont have pics with them on.

The extractors hung a little too low, so had them lifted about 2 inches to fit snug up under the floor. Had to modify the exhaust then to suit the extractors, also changed the muffler to a smithy's glasspack, also redid the section over the diff because the diff fouled on it under full travel, then finished the outlet and tip, so basically completely redid the exhaust system :roll:

POR15'd the insides of the front guards

Cleaned up the original guard rubbers and threw them back on

Bought a yella terra head for it, had it ported, shaved another 15thou, 308 valve springs, crane gold roller rockers. completely rebuilt. Thanks to Paul Boz/HPaddict for all the work :thumbsup:
The cam turned out to be a lumpy 35/75... sounds tough as at idle and should surprise a few people 8)

Got a PCV system sorted out

Dad fitted a wilwood proportioning valve for me.

Had to raise the rails on the seats to suit the brackets.

Dad made the seat brackets for me, something a little different.. They're made out of roller dorr guides, nice and thick and work out a real good starting point size and shape wise. He made the backs so they flow up into the back of the seat brackets flush which was pretty cool :thumbsup:

Had my interior done. I had the buckets done trying to use the original interior look and theme, my original inserts were used and the red vinyl is new, had the side brackets trimmed/hand tooled. Had the rear seat done to original (original inserts, new red vinyl). Had the door trims done, new cards with 3mm foam added, still used the original material apart from the armrests which were redone. New kick panels and new wheel tub covers. New carpet. And i knicked Dads parcel shelf :wink:

Welded up the old seatbelt holes in the pillars (yes there were two). Then we reprayed the b pillars and the door rubber channels where some of the original paint was peeled off when the rubbers were taken out. And fitted all new rubbers... What a pain in the arse...............

Had to modify the gearbox crossmember again to fit around the reduction box and speedo cable.

Also had HPaddict buff it for me....... Came up alright for 49 year old paint 8) 8) 8)

It was all rosey till the bastard fell asleep when he was doing me boot.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

And this her just before i left :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

When i get home i'll chuck up pics of some of the other mods which i havnt got photos of...

I know the car hasnt quite got plates on it just yet but its finished bar throwing the motor back in. So lastly, i wanna thank me old man for his help during this build. I would never have got it done without him being there. He helped every step of the way from back when i was 16 right through til now and he's still going to be workin on the bloody thing for me now while im on the other side of the earth!! :oops: He's been building the EK with me while he doesnt even have one of his own rigs on the road, he's gone without alot of shit to help me get to where i am. As much as the grumpy old bastard gives me the shits, i'd be farked without him.

ONYA DAD! I'll make sure you go to a good nursing home, don't worry! :thumbsup:
[img]http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww162/brodie_mitchell/av-49951.gif[/img]
shmeagain

Post by shmeagain »

ITS SHMEAGAIN looks good man 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Cal

Post by Cal »

Well done :thumbsup: .

The way the front seats have been done looks awsome
jack_fc

Post by jack_fc »

All looks great!

(and has your dad got room for another son? Wish I had one like him...)
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

That sounds like you have had one hell of a year. Congrats on the US deal! Shame about the motor but the car does look great. And there is nothing quite like a bit of a father son project to test your tolorence levels :mrgreen:
SC00BB
State: NSW

Post by SC00BB »

Looks good mate good job :thumbsup:

Glad to hear you got your arm fixed, I had a similar thing happen to me (rolled my car and stuffed my arm), was never the same playing baseball again.
Good to see you following your dream. :thumbsup:
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Looks great Brodie , lots of clever engineering tricks there - you must be happy with the way its come out .

When are you shipping it to the States ??? That would open a few eyes !!!!
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
choppedfan

Post by choppedfan »

Brodie what a great car mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and thanks for the many "how to pics" the seat mounts in particular look great. I can see the quality of workmanship thats gone into this project.

You and your dad must be proud :wink:

Mick 8)
neatride

Post by neatride »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 8)
Yes dear, just like you said. Theese are the words of an understanding marrige.