Brodie's EK.

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

NoMAD
State: WA

Re: Brodie's EK.

Post by NoMAD »

sounds good brods... got any photo's of the VE boot / bonnet hinge setup in the EJ would be curious to see it...

Cheers
Nathan
FB/EK Holden Car Club of W.A. Inc
Foundation Member
steved57
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by steved57 »

Thanks for the advice Brodie. Much appreciated. I'll have a look at V8EK4US & NoMAD's threads & see what they did. If I may, a word of caution on some of those shiny chrome aftermarket boosters now available (should you be thinking that way). I'm told by a reliable source that they are made in China and parts cannot be bought for them. Apparently some don't work from new (luck of the draw) and they are unrepairable.

By the way, it was very remiss of me not to congratulate you on your car. The build looks to be going great & the workmanship & lateral thinking/problem solving is superb. Good on ya!

Cheers, Steve
(AUST)Mod

Post by (AUST)Mod »

Check this out Brodie

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :MEBIDX:IT

Might be some food for thought!
Craig wrote: Andrew you have a red so I wouldn't race it :wink:

Ol_Girl_58

Post by Ol_Girl_58 »

Brodie,

When tackling the brakes on my FC, I utilised a Datsun 200B booster and WB Holden master. It bolted together with minimal alteration. It was all fairly cheap too - under $120, from memory:
The components in the photo are from a wrecker, which were bought to see if they would work - they did. They've been reconditioned now.

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers,

Josh
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Thanks for the heads up Josh 8)
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Ol_Girl_58

Post by Ol_Girl_58 »

No probs Blacky. Hopefully I can help out with some budget modifications info - you really don't need to spend big dollars to get things working. For example, When the time came to recess the firewall for the Webers, a cake tin was utilised as it was roughly the right shape for the Webers. $8 from K-Mart :D
Cheers,

Josh
Trev

Post by Trev »

Ol_Girl_58 wrote:Brodie,

When tackling the brakes on my FC, I utilised a Datsun 200B booster and WB Holden master. It bolted together with minimal alteration. It was all fairly cheap too - under $120, from memory:
The components in the photo are from a wrecker, which were bought to see if they would work - they did. They've been reconditioned now.

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers,

Josh
You would have more room in the FC because of the angled guards where the EK guards are straight!
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Ol_Girl_58

Post by Ol_Girl_58 »

Trev wrote:You would have more room in the FC because of the angled guards where the EK guards are straight!
I realise this Trev - it's a fairly small booster though, so Brodie may have some luck getting something like this in. :)

Cheers,

Josh
Brodie

Post by Brodie »

Been trying to get a look at Pottsys hinges for a while now! Cheers man.. dad went out there for a look the other day.. he reckons they're pretty simple. I'll have a crack at these VE ones and if they dont work then i'll go down that route

Hey Nath, dont have any photos of the EJ under the bonnet dude.. It was in the latest Perth Street Car mag and also in Street Machine a month or two ago. Its Pittwater Green with an LS motor and big centrelines. I'll have a play with them this weekend and throw up some pics...

Cheers Steve, and thanks for the heads up!

Thanks Andy, definately something different, but also fugly lol

G'day Josh, thanks for the pic.. dunno how thatd go in an EK tho man... i cant see that being much smaller than a Gemini booster (7")
[img]http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww162/brodie_mitchell/av-49951.gif[/img]
Brodie

Post by Brodie »

Knocked up some brackets for the handbrake cable, once these are plug welded to the floor the handbrakes finished..

Bought some Koni adjustables and a heavy duty sway bar :)

I doubt that it would ever hit but when the front suspension is close to full drop and your on lock the caliper fouls on the towers of the crossmember so i die ground out the lip a bit further and seam welded it just for a bit more clearance..

My dad hung the exhaust for me a while ago.. Im going to re make up a section of pipe at the back so the exhaust exits the car just under the bumper instead of hanging down a few inches and also have two 2.5" droopies hanging out side by side.

Cleaned up the wiper motor and bolted that back in

Dad also helped me put the new bottom ball joints in

Koni's are in and adjusted right up to 10 :shock: :twisted: 2" lowered kings and the big sway bar

Dads got a set of 4 piston JFZ race calipers to suit HQ stubs that he was goin to use on his FJ but thats changed and hes got no use for them anymore so once the EK's gone through rego ill pull the WB ones off and put them on :D

Played around a bit with the hinges, a few slices and some relocated holes and it should all work.. it's tight but there'll be enough clearance with the strut on there too (hex coupling is just for mock up purposes)

Bought a 7 inch dual diaphram booster and a 1 inch bore master cylinder

I had to modify the pedal box to mount the booster onto the firewall, i welded some plate to the sides of it so the booster was pulling on the pedal box and not just the firewall, then i tacked a washer in there so i had a pilot for the holesaw then cut that out to size

Then i reccessed a piece of old exhaust tube into it

And now she fits :)

Pedal box ready to go back in

I also welded a 6mm plate the the front of the firewall to get and even pull when you tighten the booster instead of it just pulling on the raised rib sections but i forgot to get pics.
All bolted up, next job is to run the lines

My new winscreen has been put in
And a few pics of how it should roughly sit, please excuse the gay 17" wheels :oops: Image
[img]http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww162/brodie_mitchell/av-49951.gif[/img]
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Nice work Brodie,

Its looking very nice indeed. I like your booster set up and the engine looks like it should have allways been there.

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
Trev

Post by Trev »

Really nice work as usual Brodie :D .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Great work Brodie. All your hard work is really paying off. It's going to be a grat car when finished.
Stygian
State: NSW

Post by Stygian »

Looks great Brodie, very clean 8)
kiid61

Post by kiid61 »

8) 8)
http://www.facebook.com/60minus