Brodie's EK.

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Brodie
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Brodie's EK.

Post by Brodie »

Just started getting back into the EK. Everything came to a stop mid May when i decided to blow out my arm at baseball :( i had to have surgery. I tore my MCL ligament and fractured my elbow... they found two fractures in there, one was old that i'd been pitching on for around 18months :shock: So i got a plate and some screws in my elbow now, along with my hamstring tendon that they cut out and put in there (to reconstruct the mcl) and some hip bone used for a graft (fracture) lol. :roll: Heres a pic of an x-ray, got some real grose ones of my arm cut open but they're probly to graphic for the forum :wink:

On a postive i got my P's a few weeks ago :)
But no car...
Although it shouldnt be too far off. Me, my dad and some mates have got a plan going to help get all our cars on the road. Instead of each person tryna do their car on their own, we basically all go hard on one car, get it done then move on to the next one. Mines first on the list :)

Had a few dramas putting the steering back together (amung other problems one was idler arm.. with HR steering, what idler arm do you use? is it EK or HR?).
But after we got that together, we went to drop it back on the floor for the first time since the new stuff being put in. We got the front down then went to do the back. Started letting the jack down and the car went down.. and down... along with my jaw :) It was soooo low. Jay would have been proud. The guard was sitting over the whitewall on the tyre but rubbing on it as well :( so out came the blocks. We'll be rolling the guards a little but I'll just being running it with the lowered springs for a while.

Been doing mostly fiddly stuff, not worthy of pics. But heres some with the car back on the deck. Wish i had of got some when it had the lowering blocks in it!

Most of the engine bay scuffed for a coat of satin black.

And had some rust repairs done by Paul (HPaddict). He welded up all the pinholes in my floor and repaired the front sill thingo bits :D Im one happy camper!

I've just finished cleaning all the crap off the underside, such a fun job.

Next week we should be making a start on the chassis kit, tunnel etc.

Cheers
[img]http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww162/brodie_mitchell/av-49951.gif[/img]
J
State: WA

Post by J »

good progress!
we like pics :)
(AUST)Mod
State: WA

Post by (AUST)Mod »

Awesome!

What kind of a diff is that again?
Craig wrote: Andrew you have a red so I wouldn't race it :wink:

MR HP

Post by MR HP »

haha we went to the work shop last night finally got to see brodes car in the flesh (properly) good machine scored brode brodie has done a great job on the underside of the beast and when we got there half of qld was on the floor brodie copped dirt all over him (looked like he had rolled around in the dirt on the side of the road) dirt was every where all came out of the seems haha and man is it low looks great and as i said to brodie last night it will be one awesome cruiser when he is finished i am honestly amazed how little rust it has being a 48 year old car its truely astonishing (i think i spelled that right) haha he has made good progress and has done a great job from what i can see keep chuggin brode you will get there i will be there when its time to put it all back together (hopefully)
cheers
mike :mrgreen:
Family Cars
Mum:Cream 64 EH Special
Dad:63 EH Premier (In The Build)
Mine:Blue 69 HK Kingswood Wagon
Family:White 98 VT Executive Commodore, 85 MK Patrol Turbo Diesel

[url]http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11815[/url]
vintageholden

Post by vintageholden »

so the commodore diff fits in without being shotened?????????
what size wheels can you fit....

keith
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Good stuff Brodie and well done on the licence.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
ben

Post by ben »

Coming on nicely Brodie 8) . You want the HR arm if running the HR draglink

Hard to tell from pics, but your engine mounts look to be to far back for a red in an FB/EK (engine could hit firewall). Mine and others i have seen sit hard to the back, but do not overhang like yours. Reading back it sounds like your frontend came out an FC so worth double checking :wink:
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Brodie,
Bad luck with the elbow :shock:

All the rubbing of the panel work should make it strong again. That car of your is definately a good score, that rust is nothing.

Well done and keep it going.

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
Brodie

Post by Brodie »

Thanks guys :D :D
(AUST)Mod wrote:Awesome!

What kind of a diff is that again?
Hey Andy, diff is a VN/VS borg warner.

vintageholden wrote:so the commodore diff fits in without being shotened?????????
what size wheels can you fit....

keith
Nope.. diff is shortened.
Im running 215/70/14's. Rim offset is a little too big so it rubs on the outside. I've got heaps of room on the inside though. Front rims have half an inch less offset so if i can get another pair like them for the rear, the 215's will be fine. Plenty of room in there providing you have the right offset.

ben wrote:Coming on nicely Brodie 8) . You want the HR arm if running the HR draglink

Hard to tell from pics, but your engine mounts look to be to far back for a red in an FB/EK (engine could hit firewall). Mine and others i have seen sit hard to the back, but do not overhang like yours. Reading back it sounds like your frontend came out an FC so worth double checking :wink:
Thanks Ben, anyone got a HR idler arm lying around? :roll:
Yep they are further back than normal... and yeah your probably right, more work :cry: . If i can get away with trimming the lip on the firewall i will but i doubt it.

Cheers Greg 8) It's builds like yours that give me that extra bit of motivation to keep going on mine!
[img]http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww162/brodie_mitchell/av-49951.gif[/img]
Ken

Post by Ken »

Good job on the car and the elbow Brodie!

Good move with the diff, banjos sukk.....
Lookin neat n tidy and will go just fine with the driveline your runnin.

Look forward to seeing the results!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY8vkr4jgb8
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

Good progress, can't wait to see this done-another EK for WA
Jimmy
'The best engine in the world is a vagina. It can be started with only one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And it changes it's own oil every four weeks. It is a pity that the management system is so f*$king temperamental.'
Brodie

Post by Brodie »

Thanks Ken, if you gave me your triples it'd go a lot better though :wink: :wink: :lol:

Cheers Jimmy :P
Ken

Post by Ken »

Brodie wrote:Thanks Ken, if you gave me your triples it'd go a lot better though :wink: :wink: :lol:

Cheers Jimmy :P
AAwwww but thats the best bit 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY8vkr4jgb8
Brodie

Post by Brodie »

Got the underside in primer ready for body shutz.

Engine before paint stripping

After two coats of stripper

Then a wire brush on the grinder fixed the rest

Looked all sexyyy...
Until i decided to pull the head off :cry:

BOOM! :shock:

I had to spend hours stripping and prepping the block before i realised didnt i!

Managed to get hold of a mild 202 to take its place for a carton of beam so its not all bad i guess :roll:
Sputzwagon

Post by Sputzwagon »

It's just a crook valve, Brodie. :) Get out the old valve spring compressor and rip all of 'em out and grind a new set in. :wink: It's a piss easy job to do..plus you can stick a new set of 'stem seals' on at the same time. :D

Scotty.
[img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg211/scottyharrod/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No 2