Brodie's EK.

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Ken
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Brodie's EK.

Post by Ken »

Congratulations on getting a shot in the US Brodie and well done on a terrific build. She'll always be there when you get back!

All the best of luck,

Ken
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY8vkr4jgb8
kelleigh54
State: WA

Post by kelleigh54 »

The young bloke is right ! I am a grumpy old bastard . In short , I am old , My body hurts , and my patience is like my hair , there is not much of it .
Sad to say , but the more his EK gave me the shits , the more I must have give him the shits and that was pretty regular :x :evil: :oops: .
The build certainly brought out my dark side :oops: but I wouldnt swap a minute of our time together, just wish it had been time under less demanding circumstances .
I wish other father & son projects out there the best and when things get out of hand (which at times they will ) consider the end product and enjoyment it will bring .
In many ways I have probably learnt more from my son than he has from me during the build and that is priceless . As a father I stand very proud of what he has achieved and what he strives for and his car reflects this attitude also . Dont let this crap go to your head Boof! your still a rotten little shit of an ankle biter :wink: .
One person that does deserve some credit during this build is the Mrs for putting up with us both :thumbsup: Looking forward to our first cruise together Boof :wink:
I would rather work on a Morris 1100 than use a computer !!!!!!
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

Some top notch work went into that!
A couple of cool twists on common modifications - awesome idea with the front seats they look the biz!
'The best engine in the world is a vagina. It can be started with only one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And it changes it's own oil every four weeks. It is a pity that the management system is so f*$king temperamental.'
colzy28

Post by colzy28 »

dude!
i dont come on very often anymore(busy finishing my VL).
but when i do, i find my way to your build first.
im glade to see its all come together and looks mint
good stuff man, what u have achieved its great
thumbs up bro
classic not plastic
wouldnt life be great IF my six bet your eight??
(AUST)Mod

Post by (AUST)Mod »

Colzy,

Are you still intending to finish your ute?

What are you doing to the VL? It it a VLCt?
Craig wrote: Andrew you have a red so I wouldn't race it :wink:

colzy28

Post by colzy28 »

yerh mate, finishin the ute no matter wat
but my daily (vl), has been off the road coz i had to do a rebuild on the rb30, NA, just a total rebuild, didnt want to spend too much money, so now i have a reliable daily for work and that

goin to drop the engine bak in after i finish the respray and panel repairs.

do u know goran kojic? he has the storage shed just across from you, my vl has been parked there acouple of times if u seen it
really spewin that my VL wont be ready for this wednesday, coz i wanted to tag along, but i think me mate is gonna bring his eh wagon

(the VL is berlina, rb30NA, manual conversion).
classic not plastic
wouldnt life be great IF my six bet your eight??
(AUST)Mod

Post by (AUST)Mod »

Yeah I know Goran!

Small world ey!

What is you VL doing at his shop? Come and say hi if you ever see me there :D

See you on the Summersun cruise - I will be riding with Ken

Brodie

Post by Brodie »

Cheers for the comments fellas :thumbsup: Thought i'd finally get my act together and give y'all an update!

I got back from college for my summer break at the end of May and got stuck back into the EK.. It took a bit longer than i'd hoped but on June 27, a day before my 19th birthday, i finally got her registered! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

First thing was I got my engine back from HPaddict/Boz-Race Engines and Mechanical.

New Specs -
202 Black motor
Bored 40thou, decked, honed
Counterweight crank
Starfire rods
HQ race series flat top pistons
9 port yella terra head
Mild port, shaved 15 thou
308 valve springs
Crane gold roller rockers
Hardened valve seats
Sullivan 35/75 cam
JP alloy timing gear set
Lynx manifold
350 holley
Recurved Electronic Distributor
Extractors
Lightened flywheel
Balanced clutch and rotating assembly

Put the engine back in and tried running it with the twin strommies again but just couldnt quite get the tune down so i ended up putting a 350 holley on instead.. Runs great now, just doesnt quite have that old school appeal of the twins but hey.

Fab'd the throttle bracket out of an old pushbike training wheel bracket and some flat bar :thumbsup: I'm using a lokar 36" black stainless braided throttle cable, i'd recommend them to anyone.. good quality, easily adjustable, bulkhead style fittings etc..
Also used a lokar pedal, black competition series. Again, easy as to set up and fine splined, really adjustable.

Only down side is now that the engine is quite hopped up the 2" exhaust is restricting it bigtime :thumbsdown: It didnt seem to pull past much more than 5000rpm and was lacking some punch so i disconnected the exhaust from the extractors and straight away it pulled hard and stayed strong till 6500...

I tracked these extractors down from the local rag and will have a play with them and make a new system when i get back next summer break.
Custom drag pipes, sand bent, tune length, twin 3" outlets :shock: Will neck em down juuuust a little lol

Had some issues with tyres rubbing of full lock so i rolled the guards

Here's how i pulled her out from her hiding place when i got back...

Bit of a scrub and an engine later

Then once all the dramas where sorted and she was rego'd i put some lowering blocks in.. I had 1.5" blocks but that would've given the car a negative rake so i milled them down to an inch. Doesn't seem like much but i think that extra half inch mighta been that little bit too much..

Had to go back to first gear everytime around roundabouts and slow corners and couldn't even use 5th gear in the highway. So i pulled the diff out after a couple weeks and had it rebuilt with 3.7 gears. Sits at 2500revs at 100k's now and gets going much easier.

Converted my wipers over to a VN 2 speed system. Took a bit of farting around but is worth the trouble. Have some labelled pics i'll throw up shortly with the differences between the Delco and Preslite bases, and holes, wiring etc.

And some snaps how she is now..

Croooozin' 8)

Pretty stoked with how it turned out, hell of a feeling of being behind the wheel 8)
Thanks again to my old man for his help, be buggered without ya dad!! :thumbsup:
And as he said big thanks to mum aswell for her patience during the build :D :D
[img]http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww162/brodie_mitchell/av-49951.gif[/img]
Cal

Post by Cal »

Man that's a nice car. :thumbsup: Really love how the buckets suit the rest of the interior
Brodie

Post by Brodie »

Thanks mate :thumbsup:
[img]http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww162/brodie_mitchell/av-49951.gif[/img]
(AUST)Mod

Post by (AUST)Mod »

Keen to borrow that guard roller next time you are in town!

Brodie

Post by Brodie »

I pinched it from work.. Sure beats trampoline tube :wink: I get back mid December, should be able to grab it for ya mate
(AUST)Mod

Post by (AUST)Mod »

This car is unbelievably cool.

It has to be seen in person, and more importantly, up on a hoist to appreciate all of the work which has gone into it.

Well done mate!

Brodie

Post by Brodie »

Cheers man :D Looking forward to some summer cruisin with ya yellow submarine when i get back 8) 8) 8) 8)
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Nice work, car looks great.