Workshop manuals

Post original documentation here

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Workshop manuals

Post by Blacky »

When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

I agree with Woodsy - I really want to share early Holden information, but don not want to get caught up in a copyright case with GMH :o :( .

I guess the guy selling the manual could have written permission (could even be a forum member :oops: ). From his ebay history, it looks like he sells a lot of manuals. I posed him the following question:

"I am interested in the workshop manual for FB Holdens. I'm a bit worried though as I understand that the original manuals are copyright to General Motors-Holdens Limited, and that written approval is required prior to reproduction in whole or in part. I know that some of the early holden car clubs have been given written permission to copy the manual, though not for commercial use. Do you have written permission to make copies of the manual for sale, and is the written permission included on the CD?"

Lets give the guys a chance to respond, and see how the response goes.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

:idea: Or failing all that each member posts up 10%...... :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Cheeky DR, very cheeky. :lol:
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Response from the seller:

"The supplier i bought them all from does have permission to re-print in either hardcopy or disk. The permission is not written in the CD."

Sounds legit, but as always caveat emptor.
Cal
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Cal »

Don't know about anyone else, but I prefer my manual in physical paper form, with grease marks and frayed edges . Just doesn't sound right having an FB or EK manual on a disc.

Seems like a good money spinner. You just need one CD with the info and a lot of blank CD's.......
samprinci

Post by samprinci »

I'm with Pete....but Im a bit old fashioned.

But good luck guys, which ever way it goes. can I ask did u contact holden direct?
Join the fun! Join the club! - FB-EK Holden Car Club of NSW
www.fbekholdennsw.com
woodsy

Post by woodsy »

GM's Copyright department were the mob who gave me permission
samprinci

Post by samprinci »

thanks woodsy
Join the fun! Join the club! - FB-EK Holden Car Club of NSW
www.fbekholdennsw.com
FBeing

Post by FBeing »

Any more word on this?
Harv

Post by Harv »

From what I understood, Woodsy needed someone to help him with watermarking and got no responses. He was also uneasy that it would end in a shitfight - I can understand why, as it is fantastic material, and some people are already making commercial $ selling copies on CD.

I've still got my manuals, and still happy to run them under a scanner and publish, provided I can work under an authorisation from GMH. I'm not worried about watermarking - I'd share any of the info I have with anyone who wants a copy (and am bloody grateful for the guys who do the same for me). I'm willing to accept that someone may take the online copies, burn them to CD and sell them... at the end of the day it won't cost me a cent if they do, and it's not my material anyway - some GMH guys put in the hard yards 50 years ago.

For now, I'm working at putting together a carburettion enthusiasts guide - managed to get hold of both workshop manuals and a few Bendix manuals 8) . Once that's done (next 2-3 months), I am thinking about putting together a crashbox enthusiasts guide (I've got two busted crashboxes that are itching to undergo an overhaul in front of a camera :mrgreen: ). The only info I have for these is the workshop manuals though (hint hint...anyone hording crashbox docs?)... I could just as readily apply to GMH for an approval and publish copies of the manuals.

Cheers,
Harv (apprentice early Holden documentation researcher :oops: ).
FBeing

Post by FBeing »

Thanks Harv
Your 'enthusiast' guides are great!

Shame about the watermarking etc

PM sent...
fxfjholden.com

Post by fxfjholden.com »

I could probably help with the watermarking of the document depending on what format it is in.

I agree with the paper version is easier on the older cars, but on the newer cars I prefer the CD version. I have the CD version of the VE Commodore (Pontiac) and found that really good for finding small parts.

Like I said if I can help with the watermarking let me know.

Jason
"From FJ to HZ, if you don't drive a HOLDEN you're better off DEAD"
fxfjholden forums - http://forums.fxfjholden.com
FBeing

Post by FBeing »

fxfjholden.com wrote:I could probably help with the watermarking of the document depending on what format it is in.
Nice one Jason

Woodsy? You out there??
woodsy

Post by woodsy »

I'm still here fellas, been busy lately with afew different things, Will get the workshop manual done as soon as i have some free time.