Workshop manuals

Post original documentation here

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

samprinci
State: NOT ENTERED

Workshop manuals

Post by samprinci »

Hi All,
just wondering if anyone can answer this question for me????

Is there much of a difference - As far as detailed information between these two Workshop manuals. I have #1, & was wondering should I get #2... do they share the same info??? or is #2 more detailed. found #1 pretty good on the EJ????

Look forward to your responses.
TA
Sam

#1.

FB1960

Post by FB1960 »

#1 covers all the models and tends to lump stuff together
The Holden FB manual is a lot more detailed and is a much better option for the little bits and pieces
Hope this helps you
Marty
Going nowhere, getting there fast
samprinci

Post by samprinci »

Hey Marty,
great, thanks a million.. yer I was thinking that might be the case.

TA Mate
Sam
karting dad

Post by karting dad »

I've only seen the FB version.
Would there be an EK one?
Karting is cheap.............yeah right!!!!
FB1960

Post by FB1960 »

Yes there are EK Holden ones available
they include the hydramatic section
Marty
Going nowhere, getting there fast
woodsy

Re: Workshop manuals

Post by woodsy »

how much trouble would i get in if i scanned a genuine ek holden one and uploaded it for everyone?....
rosco
State: VIC

Post by rosco »

Hi Woodsy,
there was debate on this forum some time back which eventually saw one/some of our former regular contributors retire from this forum........
The main issue, as I recall - was from a collection of material which was for sale, the copying/submission of it to the internet obviously circumnavigated the owner's potential income....

My opinion, for what it's worth - would be to get some clarification in writing from the publisher, as found in the manual.

I have seen many excerpts from both FB and EK manuals posted here - and as yet am to learn of any ramifications...... my belief is that this is highly unlikely, unless someone brings it to an authorer's attention........

I have also seen much NASCO and other publications peculiar to our models posted on our site.... again, I am unsure if there were any ramifications....

For a short time I re-wrote some of the technical articles from my manuals and posted them in the tech section - I believe they are still in situ........
I have not, as yet - been accused of plagiarism...... nor subpoenaed for prosecution...... my works were such that I deliberately re-worded paragraphs and quoted my references.......
Scanning, however - may constitute some legal issue (although I doubt it)......
I further believe that the manuals in question are no longer in publication - and as such, do not know if this negates any claim by the author/s.......

If you do decide to go ahead and scan the manuals - I expect you would probably tire of the ordeal after the first section....... both manuals are of significant proportion.... the workload would be massive........ again, do your absolute utmost to ensure you are not subjecting yourself to prosecution....

As for the two manuals referred to in the original post - I would certainly prefer to make reference to the model specific manual..... as mentioned above - there is much generalisation in the other - and, although description is probably adequate, pix relevant to the specific model are general unless there is a specific need to single out a particular subject and include a photograph.......
Owners of the EK manual will undoubtedly agree that the extensive description of the Hydramatic transmission is magnificent..... the latter EJ and EH versions are not as intense..... but we must appreciate - this was the first auto supplied to our beloved Holden........ in comparison, the thickness of the FB manual compared to that of the EK probably speaks volumes (excuse pun).........

Hope some of the dribble above helps....?

frats,
Rosco
samprinci

Post by samprinci »

heres an EK on on ebay.. not seem many EKs. lots FB thought.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GMH-1961-EK-Hold ... 2a0d51e939
Attachments
EK manual.jpg
EK manual.jpg (133.76 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
Join the fun! Join the club! - FB-EK Holden Car Club of NSW
www.fbekholdennsw.com
Cal

Post by Cal »

rosco wrote:Hi Woodsy,
there was debate on this forum some time back which eventually saw one/some of our former regular contributors retire from this forum........
The main issue, as I recall - was from a collection of material which was for sale, the copying/submission of it to the internet obviously circumnavigated the owner's potential income....

frats,
Rosco

Hey Rosco,welcome back 8)

Apart from the original author/publishers having any issues, which in this case being 50 year ol material - I can't see a problem - there should be no probs in someone pasting it on here.

As for the example you used, so called collector ( I think I remember who) has absolutely no legal ownership of the content, and is a knob if he thinks he does.
rosco

Post by rosco »

Yes, Cal - as I mentioned above.... I don't believe the authors would have issue..... some of those who would lose out on custom may.... and would be the most likely perpetrator of any advice to incite.....
I don't know if there is a "period" after which legal rights expire... and would be grateful to anyone who can publish or advise the forum that we are no longer subject to proceedings.....
I further believe that prior to submission, perhaps consideration should be given to acknowledging authors material and gaining permission to publish electronically on our forum - citing technical reference use........

and - thanks for the welcome back..... got an awful lot on my plate at present, but too wet to get out and continue the saga..... so, guess the forum has to pay for my attention.....

frats,
Rosco
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

If someone were to scan the manuals, perhaps load it onto a CD for forum members to buy or just cover CD cost etc.
As above though may cause a copyright issue if they were sold at least...But none of us will tell :lol:
'The best engine in the world is a vagina. It can be started with only one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And it changes it's own oil every four weeks. It is a pity that the management system is so f*$king temperamental.'
woodsy

Post by woodsy »

Yes there are ALOT of pages, the only downfall is that i dont want people copying it then selling it for profit on ebay. I'm happy to host it online for use of members, I'm also happy to burn copies and send them for the price of the cd and postage.

But i am waiting to hear back to see if i can legally copy it and post it up.

I'll keep you posted.
rosco

Post by rosco »

Thanks Woodsy,
you can do the leg work, this time.......
I believe it will become obvious to you that you may be patronised financially ........
Sadly, your offer to the forum - splendid as it is - will undoubtedly fall into the clutches of those who will make financial mileage and opportunity without any co-contribution or acknowledgment to your efforts....... such is the nature of the current "beast".....

frats,
Rosco
woodsy

Post by woodsy »

I agree Rosco, Some idiots are out there to make a quick buck, they dont care what they do to get it either.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Woodsy,

I appreciate both the work Rosco has done previously in making information available, and your own offer to scan manuals. For me, the sharing of knowledge and experience on this forum is what makes it great. It really craps me knowing that some info is available, and I can't lay my hands on it.

I've previously pulled togther some info on Warmarides, and am in the process of doing the same for windshield washers. I've tried to quote the source of the info I use, and make it clear up front that if anyone believes I have breached copyright (or have not given credit where it is due), then I am more than happy to immediately correct the issue.

Rosco is probably right, and the starting point would be to contact the publishers. I have copies of both the FB and EK manuals, and would be prepared to contribute them for scanning if we can get approval to go ahead in writing from the publishers. It could take some mucking around though. If you are interested in going ahead, pm me.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.