Workshop manuals

Post original documentation here

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

rosco
State: VIC

Re: Workshop manuals

Post by rosco »

Thanks Harv,
let me know what comes of the publishers - I would expect Holden admin (somewhere) to be able to re-direct...
If, and I am hopeful, they state that there is no longer issue with publishing material from this era - my further suggestion would be to request formal advice - most likely in email..... once we have that - the massive task beholds you.....

When the green light is given - If you do find that there are pages which are not in very good shape - let me know, I have copies of both originally from a technical library and in excellent condition.....

frats,
Rosco
woodsy
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by woodsy »

Holden have put me on to someone else, once i hear back from them i'll let you all know
woodsy

Post by woodsy »

I have been given written permission from Holden to upload the workshop manual, as long as there is no commercial gain! How good is that!, Bad for people who ebay manuals but good for the fb ek community as a whole.
fxfjholden.com

Post by fxfjholden.com »

As most people know what I do for an occupation, I am happy to answer this question re copyright.

If you have the owners permission - no problem.

If not you can only copy up to 10% of material and should always state your source.

Most Holden publications - Holden are fantastic, it just doesn't hurt to ask is all.

Jason
"From FJ to HZ, if you don't drive a HOLDEN you're better off DEAD"
fxfjholden forums - http://forums.fxfjholden.com
rosco

Post by rosco »

Excellent news, Woodsy....

Thanks Jason, I must agree - in almost all of my communications with GM-H many years back, they were most hospitable and receptive to my questions.
I believe most can appreciate, this amounted to considerable "patience" with me at times...... but, in the early '80's - I did manage to get technical reference numbers and measurements when making modifications to my old bus........ with confidence that parts "would fit"......

It is refreshing to learn that perhaps this channel of communication remains open........

I would stress here, to those who do not appreciate the gravity of legality and its ramifications for breaching copyright - contact Woodsy via PM prior to uploading any material - is is of paramount importance that the written permission he has procured relates specifically to the material you intend to publish.

frats,
Rosco
woodsy

Post by woodsy »

Do you think it would be a good idea to water mark every page with 'AVAILABLE FREE AT WWW.FBEKHOLDEN.COM'? Or maybe a logo? I do not want people putting this on ebay for sale. So anything we can do to stop it the better!
rosco

Post by rosco »

Good point, Woodsy.....
If you knew how much work will be required to scan and upload one of these manuals....... I'm absolutely certain anyone contributing to the task will be very much "put out" should they find someone making mileage (excuse pun) from their labours.....

Perhaps a suggestion would be to "poll" the forum and gain consensus as to any forum "rights" would be appropriate.....

I don't know enough about watermarks, I'm afraid - to suggest that it would be "indelible"...... perhaps a warning be inserted into either the title or sub-title stating that the material is owned by General Motors Holdens and any copying from the website for purposes other than private reference breaches copyright by the original owner/publisher......

my throughts.....

frats,
Rosco
FBeing

Post by FBeing »

I've been watching/waiting on this thread with interest.
Well done Woodsy, nice work mate.
I reckon there should be some sort of legal terms to agree with - like hitting the 'aree' button when signing up to forums and the like.
That said it doesn't actually stop the bad people...BUT if they do get caught then they are up the legal creek.
A water mark is another good option too
rosco

Post by rosco »

FBeing - had me scratching for a minute......
I believe you meant to type "agree" button.....?

frats,
Rosco
FBeing

Post by FBeing »

Ha!
Yes Rosco. I blame the combination of fat fingers and using my phone to post...
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

G'day Woodsy,

Excellent news :D 8) !

I have copies of the following that I am more than happy to share:
a) FB Workshop manual
b) EK Workshop manual
c) FB Masterparts manual
d) FX-HR Masterparts catalogue.

In terms of condition, a) and b) are used (the odd greasy thumbprint, but very few) but no other marks or tears. c) and d) are pretty much mint (other than the pages starting to show natural yellowing with age). I can scan them in, though will have to check on the resolution size of the scanner (will let you know). They will come out as a pdf file - it will probably be too big to scan as a whole manual, and will need to break up into chapters.

I guess that as the authority letter to publish is under your name, that you will need to be the "poster" when they go on the forum.

Let me know what you think - keen to make this project a reality!
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
rosco

Post by rosco »

Just a thought to "watermarking".....
Some eons ago - I was "educated" to some extent in Adobe Photoshop.
During this process, I recall having to merge and "flatten down" an image - this resulted in any added components, images or alterations becoming permanent - ie, irremovable without removing the content beneath......
I am hopeful that some people in this forum who have managed to master Photoshop - can suggest a pro-forma graphic base with a forum motif to which scanned documents can be based upon and "flattened".....

frats,
Rosco
woodsy

Post by woodsy »

Yep thats the road i'd like to go down.
bumper
State: TAS

Post by bumper »

Look like some one is already trying to make money from it!!! :shock: :shock:
eBay item no: 320668286933 (don't know how to do link :oops: )
wanker????
I'd rather consider myself as an "owner operator"!!

FBEKHOLDENFANS page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253705454864/
woodsy

Post by woodsy »

This is the problem we are going to have. My copy is Definately going to have a large watermark over it.

We have gone through the right avenues to get written permission that has my name on it, so if any of these copies end up on ebay i wont be a happy camper as i dont want any trouble coming down on me From Holden.

I'm still happy to do it, but can see this ending up in a shit fight.
Last edited by woodsy on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.