Which manifold to use?

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EK 9893
State: NOT ENTERED

Which manifold to use?

Post by EK 9893 »

I want to put a set of extractors of my grey but it appears that the original inlet and outlet manifolds are bolted together. Is this because my car is an auto, if so can i use one from a manual or can it be blocked off.

Another thing i am considering is replacing the Hydro-matic with a later model, i have been told that the Tri-matic will fit, if anyone has done this conversation I would love to hear about it.

Regards,

Tony
EK-179

Post by EK-179 »

Tony,
All grey motor single carb setups were bolted together, if your fitting extractors you can just unbolt the exhaust manifold, although it doesnt really look that neat. Have you considered fitting up twin carbs while your at it? atleast this way it will be nice and tidy, and it will have quite a power improvement!.

As for trimatics, im sure that Burnsy or Earlyholdenfan will be able to fill you in. 8) 8) 8)
earlyholdenfan

Post by earlyholdenfan »

Hi EK9893,
I have done the conversions, and it is fantastic! I swear by it, if you are keeping the grey it is the onlyway to go (for non show standard vehicle, excellent for daily driver) it will allow you to keep up with any modern traffic, and take hills with ease, it will allow you to get a rebuilt replacement gearbox for less than a quarter of what the Hydramatic would cost to rebuild, if you find the parts etc etc etc
If you would like to know more send me a PM, would be glad to help you out.

Matt
P.S. there are a couple of people on the forum that have driven my wagon with it in and they can testify to the difference it makes
Hoping everyone is finding my new Avatar less "Distracting" and of course it is not directed at anyone or anything either currently living or deceased, hopefully it may just be allowed to remain!
MBH222

Post by MBH222 »

Tony,
You can get the stubby type extractors for the grey motor from Redline:
Part no. is:
RE209ST - cost about $180.

I have received feedback that these make a huge improvement.