accelerator pedal

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

yeprat1
State: NOT ENTERED

accelerator pedal

Post by yeprat1 »

hi guys im bolting up twin strommies to my 179 in an fb so i have to change the accelerator pedal to a cable set up. i bought after market item from american autos but doesnt look like it will fit right does anyone know if a pedal out of a hr or eh will fit and are they to suit cable or if anyone is familiar with the american autos item thanks troy.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Troy, I'm half way through doing a cable setup. I have used a HJ pedal and cable. The pedal needs some slight modts to fit and fitting the cable requires filing an existing hole (the one used to hold the insulation in place) in the firewall square to hold it in place.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
yeprat1

Post by yeprat1 »

cmon guys atheres got to be others out there running a cable set up let us know what u used my pedsal i bought from american autos doesnt seem right , i dont want to try and modify it if there is an easier way
NoMAD
State: WA

pedal

Post by NoMAD »

Devilrod,

any pics of you setup and mods.

will be looking to do this myself in a couple of months (2 -3) and was going to fit a different pedal for the setup.

and yeprat1 keep us posted on how yours goes - sorry i cant be of assistance (yet)

Cheers
NoMAD
ek61

Post by ek61 »

gday i used a charade pedal and dare i say ea/b f**d cable with a few minor angle changes to the pedal arm it is the right length and lines up with a existing hole in the fire wall where one of the plastic bungs for the insulation mat under the dash .and just filed the hole square cable fits in nice works a treat took me all of about half hour to install

its dark out now so ill post some pice soon
cheers dave
"THE JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES BEGINS WITH A BROKEN FAN BELT AND A FLAT TYRE"
***just cruise***
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Mine has a pedal out of a VN Commondore , had to shorten the arm and change the angle the pedal pad sat at , then weld a tube into the firewall to accept the commode throttle cable so it sounds like devilrods setup is easier (plus it keeps it all Holden) :D
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Ok, guys Forgot about this thread. I finished my pedal setup about three weeks ago as yet not road tested.

I'll start with the carby, motor is from a HG Monaro, standard choke bracket with an accelerator bracket off an HJ polution carby welded to the choke assembly. Keeps it simple and also mantains the geometry within about 5-10mm as per holden's design and uses the factory spring.

Cable is a 6cyl HJ cable. You can't see it bit I filed the hole sqaure first so the cable clips in like it should. The hole was existing as it is one for the plastic Bung (?) that holds the sound proofing to the firewall.

And finally the pedal. The bracket is custom made to get full travel as the HJ bracket is about an inch too close to the floor. Trial and error produced the bracket, basically clamped it in place and marked it before drilling (I can measure if needed). This bracket was bent using the original as a guide. The other mod was to cut the top of the pedal off and swap the side the bracket mounts to (places the tab on the passenger side of the pedal rather than drivers, but you can't quite see it). Also some bending is required for alignment and smooth operation of the cable.

Hope this helps...

Brett.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

i used a VB-VK commodore pedal for my partners EH, this is a few pics from it.

had to bend the metal rod to get the angles right to go around the floor and firewall etc.

dodgy picture but you can see that i put the s bend in it to get around the firewall.

this is how you get them from the commodore, i also put one of these in my EK Wagon a long time ago, but it was from rarespares and was a different shape, it too needed to be bent to suit my situation.
Regards,

Sammy.

http://www.oldholdens.com
yeprat1

Post by yeprat1 »

thanks guys this should help a lot its just you think u buy something that is supposed to be designed for a particular thing then find out that you have to modify it .thats life. thanks guys
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

hehehe i am used to that, theres not alot of stuff for the old cars that just goes straight in, its easier to assume you'll have to modify it :)
Regards,

Sammy.

ek61

Post by ek61 »

just a few bends an rewelded the shaft excuse the mess
the existing hole just filed square
used the f==d cable has a return spring on it allready the bracket could have been a bit longer for the 350 but did have a 465 on it b4
hope these help
***just cruise***
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

looks like a successful result ... although i reckon i'd be changing that bracket to allow the cable to pull straight ... you'll end up wearing the moving parts out if you leave it like that i reckon
Regards,

Sammy.

ek61

Post by ek61 »

yeh ill get to it soon was perfect for the 465 when it was on there
wont take much to whip up another one

theres a few ideas out there good to see other mods
cheers dave
***just cruise***
HEMI

Post by HEMI »

IF youre existing pedal is ok, go get a cable from a L300 van, no get two, one for a spare. They bolt up to the existing pedal and run through the floor under the carpert and out the firewall with the choke cable.
Cheap simple and neat! Ive done this to 4 eks and had no probs at all!
HEMI

K.I.S.S.
FOR SALE...VAN, TRAILER, CONVERTABLE..0400568049
yeprat1

Post by yeprat1 »

hey hemi when u say existing pedal do u mean the standard fb pedal and thanks all for the info ,im not the smartest cookie in the jar.