Chev EK

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EK283
State: NSW

Re: Chev EK

Post by EK283 »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments.

I do have OCD you realise, still not happy with a couple of things but thats life !

Just drive she said !!! Common saying in my house at the moment.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

18 years Greg, wow.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Well if it doesn't rain it hails !!!

Ive been driving around a bit and had the joy of the gearbox spit out fluid, lokar dipstick with 2 orings, sloppy as !!

I pulled it out and machined it down to suit the original type seal, hope this is fixed ! Sorry no photos.

Whilst i was at it i looked for a squeek the front end had developed, this time not so easy the upper wishbone has worn away the so called pressed in bushes and moved across enough to rub on the crossmember, GRRRRRRR !

So a quick fix you say, no the whole front end has to come out to get the top wishbones out, guess what it aint going to happen soon.

I had a thought and here goes,
IMG_2650.JPG
IMG_2650.JPG (4.7 MiB) Viewed 89 times
IMG_2651.JPG
IMG_2651.JPG (5.04 MiB) Viewed 89 times
IMG_2652.JPG
IMG_2652.JPG (4.16 MiB) Viewed 89 times
IMG_2653.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG (4.58 MiB) Viewed 89 times
IMG_2654.JPG
IMG_2654.JPG (4.56 MiB) Viewed 89 times
IMG_2655.JPG
IMG_2655.JPG (5.2 MiB) Viewed 89 times
So a speedy sleeve might work as the bush just fell out, i have gotten this far but it appears the arm may be slightly out of shape and it wants to pull towards the shock tower, no use painting stuff when this happens, not happy Jan !

I stopped last night to re assess, i think i may have to re shape the arm somehow !!

Greg
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

From memory you are using an LX front end ??? I have one here and was considering it for the 2 door.
One of the guys over here has a Jag front in his car - I plan on going right over it at the nationals to see how much work is in that swap - he reckons it rides beautifully.

I don't suppose they make an oversize bush for those? apparently, after I threw out a pair of otherwise perfectly good lower wishbones, an oversize lower ball joint is available :roll: :roll:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

No oversized bushes that i can find, would have been simpler !

Anyway it worked out, i couldnt get the bush in as far as i liked but for now it will be ok. The Torana front is good and a nice ride but the issue is the alignment. There is no room to use spacers on the top arms unless you cut holes in the inner gaurds to get access.
To counteract that problem i have used offset bushes on the lower arms, to get the castor and camber right is fidly and the alignment gets knocked out after a couple of hundred kays.
I'm going to look into this with a bit more detail in the next few months, i may consider a custom front end, maybe.
Can't believe how dirty the under car gets in such a short time, oh and all the scratches are re painted as well.
IMG_2656.JPG
IMG_2656.JPG (5.97 MiB) Viewed 71 times
IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2658.JPG (5.06 MiB) Viewed 71 times
IMG_2660.JPG
IMG_2660.JPG (4.83 MiB) Viewed 71 times
A quick alignment again and back on the road, Got lots of other stuff to do in the next 3 weeks, busy busy busy !!

Greg