Chev EK

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

gazza
State: VIC

Re: Chev EK

Post by gazza »

Hi Greg where did you get the lower control arms adjustable bushes from for the front end. Thanks Gary.
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Hi Gary,

I got them from whiteline.

https://www.steeringandsuspensionwareho ... e855&_ss=r

Greg
So many cars so little time!
gazza
State: VIC

Post by gazza »

Thanks Greg. Thanks Gary.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

No power, why ???

In for surgery, thought it may have been the heads but I found the culprit !

Pistons down the bore 55 thou with 41 thou gaskets, a whopping 96 thou piston to head clearance, the ideal ? 40 thou.

Theres just no compression at these measurements.

So out it comes for some new slugs and some machine work.

Pays to check this stuff before you slap it together.
IMG_1725.JPG
IMG_1725.JPG (4.34 MiB) Viewed 837 times
IMG_1724.JPG
IMG_1724.JPG (5.2 MiB) Viewed 837 times
I am hoping a few weeks then go again !!!!!

Greg
Last edited by EK283 on Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harv

Post by Harv »

I was hoping to tempt you out to Eastern Creek while it was still sluggish. With the open heart surgery, I suspect you might leave me for dead.

How high a compression are you aiming for?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hi Harv,
I have a bit more knowledge on piston cc and height etc so I have to do the maths !
My race car mentor tells me at least 10 to 1. I will have to see, I have a NASCAR 302 forged crank stashed under the bench so I may even de stroke it. Just so everyone knows Chev had a 302 in 1969 only in the Camaro because the race class was 5 litre. I found one in the USA many many moons ago !
I’ll keep everyone posted.
Regards Greg
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Under bonnet blower, come on Greg. Fix your compression issue. Who will know.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Mick

Post by Mick »

Errol62 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:31 pm Under bonnet blower, come on Greg. Fix your compression issue. Who will know.Image

why under bonnett :twisted: a mate just got a HR engineered in NSW with a 6/71 blown and injected LS 8) though he did have to cover it with a bonnet scoop but the injector hat is still just peeking out
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
EK283

Post by EK283 »

So interesting stuff !!

The engine is out and i have sourced some NOS forged pistons to suit my standard bore block. Funnily enough the block i have is a factory roller, I totally forgot what i had till i pulled it apart, more about that in a minute.
So the problem i had was lack of compression and small valve 305 heads.The pistons i had were cast and were 55 thou down in the cylinder and i used 40 thou head gaskets, this totals 95 thou of quench when the chev really needs around 40 thou. I built this a long time ago without knowing what measurements were required.
Technical here, confusing and head scratching calculations. Standard chev block is 9.025 in deck height, my new pistons have a compression height of 1.671 so doing the calc for piston to head clearance is 3.25(stroke) divided by 2 plus 5.7 (length of rod) plus compression height 1.671 = 8.996 Take this away from the 9.025 deck height and i have 29 thou down the hole with the new pistons.
Acouple of choices here, use a 15 thou shim style head gasket with no machining and that adds up to 44 thou. The old forged pistons appear to have a 4 thou allowance for growth, perfect that means 40 thou quench. The other option is to deck the block 12 thou and use a better cometic gasket 27 thou thick for the same result and or machine the deck 25 thou and use a standard flepro gasket 40 thou thick !!!!! Im leanig towards no machining as i hate removing good metal from a virgin block.
This is of course is great but it all revolves around cam lift and piston to valve clearance, something i used to take for granted. I will have to preassemble and check this with modeling clay.
Back to the cam, once i realised that the block i have is factory roller i have lashed out and bought a roller cam, lifters and factory style retainers. The price was surprising as chev stuff is relatively cheap and reports that flat tappet cam lifters are garbage these days pushed me over the line !!!
New alloy heads, roller cam and correct internal measurements of the engine has got me excited ! Off to the machine shop next week to discuss my options.

I will keep you posted.
Greg
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Look out Harv!

EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Dammit… he’s getting serious 8)

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

So my motor is due back next week and i have been bored !! All my aches and pains gone away and I decided to go to the dark side and start 66 mussy build.
I know its not for this site but it will fill the gaps until the motor comes back.

I literally have to dig the old girl out but I already know what has to be done, its a real pitty the FB EK model Holden can't get new panels like the stang can, I have however got a start with a rear cut that will be grafted in and to my surprise absolutely no rust ! The damn thing also comes with gal rails, I think im lucky finding this actually !!!
IMG_1767.JPG
IMG_1767.JPG (4.74 MiB) Viewed 605 times
IMG_1766.JPG
IMG_1766.JPG (4.93 MiB) Viewed 605 times
IMG_1769.JPG
IMG_1769.JPG (5.9 MiB) Viewed 605 times
IMG_1770.JPG
IMG_1770.JPG (7.8 MiB) Viewed 605 times
IMG_1773.JPG
IMG_1773.JPG (5.57 MiB) Viewed 605 times
Chop chop fit fit, I think this will be much quicker than the EK because its just a refurb with no modifications to fit a V8, maybe a RHD conversion but thats about it.
I will put it in other cars of interest after today, once the chev comes back I'll update that.

Regards Greg
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Nice Greg. It will be on the road before you know it. Here we go……

EK van on rotisserie
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Look forward to seeing what you get up to - its crazy all the after market sheet metal you can get for those cars now. Very jealous.
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Harv

Post by Harv »

‘66 Stang?

That’s close enough to ‘67…

6FB90480-EF68-4D20-B22F-7813A8A312D1.jpeg
6FB90480-EF68-4D20-B22F-7813A8A312D1.jpeg (42.65 KiB) Viewed 573 times

Green Sally up
and green Sally down
Last one squat
gotta tear the ground…

Cheers,
Harv