Chev EK

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Chev EK

Post by Blacky »

The ute seems to drive OK, the steering is a bit wandery , hopefully the reco steering box kit will sort that out . The wind noise is probably the biggest thing that differs to late model crap , we dont even bother turning the radio on at highway speed. Acceleration can best be described as "leisurely" but that is to be expected.....
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

EK283 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:48 pm Hooray, drove the bugger up and down the road a bit, 20 kays and all !

Couple of things, I've forgotten the sounds and ride these old cars have so my question is do your cars shake and rattle and how is the ride quality on these cars like ?
Mine seems a little stiff on the front but feels ok in the rear, do they wallow, bounce or are they normally comfortable ?

Thanks Greg
yeah when ever i built one i normally drive around in some form of Commodore while building (been a while now) they were usually SSs or statesman V8s and the first drives in the EK/FB always had a smile but for the whole time was muttering to myself what the f#$k are you doing in this sh!t box :shock: :lol: my chopped sedan that i currently have is by far the best FB or EK i have ever driven other than the rear suspension but that just comes down to ride height and very very little suspension travel, it has HR front with drop stubs and 2" lowered springs, rear mounted rack 4" reset rear leaves with a 1" block, 202 5 speed it's easilly fast enough to lose my licence on the spot goes round corners every bit as good as the SS commodores i've had can drive it with one finger resting on the steering wheel (bumpy roads suck but only the rear)
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hey Greg the 6000 odd K's I've just put on Frank has brought to light a number of sounds and minor issues, I think it is the best way to find them all and start to eliminate them one by one.
When I was coming back from the Nats I had a vibration that was really annoying until i got up to speed got home trying to find it and found that the sunvisor bolts on the brackets that fix the visor to the bracket were ever so slightly lose probably only got half a turn and guess what the vibration disappeared :roll: :roll:
Been chasing another couple of small sounds and yet to chase them down, front end also needs another grease up after the long haul.
I fitted a rear sway bar and body roll a lot better.
Doesn't handle as good as my 2003 Monaro but that's half the fun I think.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Well guys still no joy with the EK.

Brakes have passed the fail test, meaning front disconnected and rear stopping only, rear disconnected and front stopping only and the last test depleted booster with master only, all good !!!

Thats when it turned pear shape, the gearbox started spitting fluid out so I had to bring the car home and inspect and repair.
Can't believe it, I had the car on the dyno, run it up and down the road a few times and all good. Turns out the sump bolts loosened off, apparantly done up by a gearbox guru, so the fluid was just passing the gasket. Retorqued and cleaned underneath today ready to go back this week.

Last test is a heat cycle and speed stops, the engineer got 3/4 of the way through that before the gearbox started to vomit.

He's given me the thumbs up and reckons it will pass no issue, but he has to do the complete cycle again.

Im positive now and at least the bugs are getting ironed out at the same time.

Soon man soon !!!!!!

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Excruciating fella.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

So close.

Sounds similar to my wagon. Took it for a test drive to check the speedo calibration and basic shake-down on the M4. Turned around at Blacktown, and noticed some fume behind me. Ignored it, drove on but had to wait for a long time at the off-ramp traffic light. Started smelling ATF. Limped home, found my trans cooler hose had leaked. Walked back to the off-ramp with some rag and cleaned it up as best I could without getting a job as a bonnet mascot. Looked like someone had slaughtered a steer at the traffic lights.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

So very close mate so very close 😉😉🙄
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I cant believe how much BS you have go through to get a modified car licenced over there :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Mick

Post by Mick »

Blacky wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:27 am I cant believe how much BS you have go through to get a modified car licenced over there :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
that all depends on the engineer, i didn't have to go through any of that stuff with the austin, personally i don't like the brakes on it but they passed the engineers testing and a secondary test so must be good enough, i've spoken with engineers that i don't go any further than a phone call i can pick them as a dickhead over the phone, ever since our system changed from actual university trained engineers to any old mechanic or tradesman that wants to do the course there's some know it all dickheads out there :roll:

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
EK283

Post by EK283 »

WHOOOO HOOOOO !!!!!!!

Engineering done and dusted I'm happy as Larry !!!

Iv'e got to pick the car up, get it weighed then wait for the certificate. I'm then going to put it on conditional rego so Id'e say 2 weeks before I can drive it.
Overall this expierience has been tough and costly, although in saying that there are a lot of mods that have contributed to all the testing and in some ways the outcome is good, brakes work as they should suspension and sway test pass, noise etc etc. Totally 100% legal and safe.

I will get some road shots in the next few weeks.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Great result Greg. I reckon there is a fair bit of comfort knowing everything that you have done is to a high standard and legal. While it is onerous and costly, it is better than the alternative. Kudos to you.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Brett027 on Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

Great News Greg another one on the road. I'am HAPPY for you
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Congratulations Greg. Your hard work, patience and
persistence finally paying off. You must be very happy mate. What a machine!

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Mick

Post by Mick »

good stuff, i like the easy route, but would also be very satisfying knowing it's more than safe :thumbsup:

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Great news mate , it's been a long time coming - you must be stoked 8) 8) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: