Chev EK

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Just an update mates.
I have made a folded section with captive nuts for the new tank to sit in.I have stich welded it and it is very strong with the tank screwed in.
Dam rust! Filler hole filled up. Still not sure about filler tube location.
Boot on for trial fit. The boot gaps are not the best and I can remember it never was. Is this a EK thing or should I try another lid?

Happy building Greg.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hi Guys,
Whilst some of us are lucky enough to have a long weekend drinking eating and enjoying life in general, I chose to slave in the garage. :? Any way heres some more progress pics.
I started the weekend with rebuilding the floor cross member and inside sill.
I then attacked the inside area of the a pillar behind the sill It didnt look that bad until it was exposed.
After countless hours bending heating swearing and hammering the final product was complete. Its made from 2mm thick plate, I think its stronger than the original. I also welded another 3mm plate behind the bolt hole area.
Finished! I actually had fun doing this cause I havent oxy welded for a few years, you dont have to grind like a maniac when using the oxy! Sill trial fitted, I will drill the bolt hole after I put the sill in place.
How was the weather down in Albury fellas?
Until next time Greg EK283.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I see you picked up some sills for her Greg , looking good mate.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Sammy
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Sammy »

i agree Greg, i recently made some exhaust pipes with the oxy, i thoroughly enjoyed it, and one thing i like about the oxy is you don't have to have a perefectly clean surface to weld to, also being able to heat and tap steel as you go along helps things!

the car is looking great, sounds like you have been putting alot of time and effort into it, hope you get a mint car in the end!

just a question, i would have thought sand blasting the car would have been a better option than the bath, as far as cost anyway ?
Regards,

Sammy.

http://www.oldholdens.com
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Sammy,

Thanks for the motivation. Allways good to hear a voice of appreciation.

To be quite honest I didnt price sand blasting because I had a fear of damage. The blasting if not done right can warp large panels. Apparently the sand hitting the metal heats up and if not done by pro operator can deform the metal badly. Although damage is always a possibility in anyones hands bar your own.

I know it sounds dear but the results are awesome, no dirt in your eyes, every bit of rust exposed, no sore arms and no questions like what the hell am I doing this for!
Will keep you posted.
Regards Greg
EK 283.
Trev

Post by Trev »

I've been warned about acid leeking out of seams in the pannels on a hot day after paint is applied, have you herd of this before?
Got a quote on bead blasting the wagon of $550 and I thought that was expensive, dos'nt sound so anymore!
Your acid job certainly did turnout looking top notch though.
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

yeah i got my EK Sedan sand blasted, it was about $500 (only the rolling shell) but i was quite happy with the price and the results as they etch primed it aswell. but i have to agree that there is a bigger risk of the panels as you say, but the place i took it too mainly focused on cars and they said that it wouldn't be a problem they just turn down the blasting pressure for cars .....

since then i have talked to a bloke that do abrassive blasting in my area and he says they have various levels of material to use and they use some of the more softer materials to blast new cars just to get the top layer off to resprays and all this sorta stuff, sounds good to me if i need another car done :) also i don't know anywhere around here that does the acid wash.
Regards,

Sammy.

http://www.oldholdens.com
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hi Dudes,

Ive had a bit of a break and got back into it today. Decided to replace the drivers dog leg that was an old damage repair (full of bog)
Got hold of a second hand dog leg from a wreck.

Thats all i had time for today will keep everyone posted.

Regards Greg
oldnek

Post by oldnek »

Doing a fine job there Greg, Brings back the memories. Its great to see someone doin the job right, gets done the 1st time.

John
oldnek

Post by oldnek »

OK Greg,
Lets get down to business and clean that garage up, so you can get that EK sedan up and running, time is runnin out.

Regards John.

PS: keep up the great work mate,
EK283

Post by EK283 »

John,
Thanks for taking the time out and having a look.
You are completely right time is running out and for that reason I am going to take some time off work this week and get stuck into it. I sat in my garage yesterday afternoon and thought to myself this is taking to long so now full bore with no distractions especially with the race car.
You will have to drive your EK over so I can eyeball your work now.
Will keep everyone posted.
Regards Greg
oldnek

Post by oldnek »

EK283 wrote:John,
Thanks for taking the time out and having a look.
You are completely right time is running out and for that reason I am going to take some time off work this week and get stuck into it. I sat in my garage yesterday afternoon and thought to myself this is taking to long so now full bore with no distractions especially with the race car.
You will have to drive your EK over so I can eyeball your work now.
Will keep everyone posted.
Regards Greg
No problem, Be back up there at Chrissy, staying at Toongabbie, so you can have a big eyeball then, just make sure the beer is cold for festive season and I'll crack one with ya, it's good to meet you again after all those years.

Cheers John
PS Doin an excellent job Greg.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hey dudes,
Been motivated and getting stuck into it again
Front floor done.
Rear floor out and all members treated and painted with zinc before welding!
New rear section being hammer welded in. Ive got to say its frustrating getting these pans to fit right. Does anyone know a good floor maker? I still need the left rear.

You all do realise that Im making a big sacrafice resurrecting the old girl!
I could be out driving this on the weekends instead!
Oh well such is life!
Regards Greg
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hi Guys,
The grind continues and I hope Im not boring everyone but I removed the drivers side sill today.
I was pleasantly surprised as the inner sill is in excellent condition.
The only rust is in the front where the sub frame bolts to. I suppose it wouldnt be a fb/ek without rust in this area!
Will attack this area today and keep everyone posted.
Regards Greg
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

Never bored when I see progress photos Greg.Gives me some ooomph to get off my bum and do some work on my car/s when I see what others are up to.

Keep 'em coming,

Terry.
I can't think what to write here so this will do.