helping a mate out on his slightly rusty Fb wagon

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

yogie
State: NOT ENTERED

helping a mate out on his slightly rusty Fb wagon

Post by yogie »

Here's a few pics of a mates Fb wagon, just a few rust repairs, the LHF floorpan and the base of the B pillar, this car had everything, there was a rats nest in the subframe and a few wasps nests under the dash, great stuff. But slowly but surly we're getting there, these pics are of the B piller before and the panels I had to fabricate.

and the wasp nest under the dash wrapped around a cable...yuk

and a link to a shamless plug on my welding skills... :roll:
http://media.putfile.com/welding-the-FB-wagon
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Aaarghhhhhhhhhh!!!!! The Horror...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know exactly how you feel having had to do all the same rust repairs on mine! Keep us posted, looking much better already....
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Hey Yogie , where did you get the sticker with the red and white FB wagon ?????
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

Yogie,

Enjoyed watching your 'shamless plug' of your welding skills and the before and after shots. I have an EK wagon with a similar fate. If I wasnt in Sydney....I'd probably be knocking on your door... :wink:

keep posting those pics please.

Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
yogie

Post by yogie »

Blacky wrote:Hey Yogie , where did you get the sticker with the red and white FB wagon ?????
Nice touch HUH, its a surf shop here in Geelong, called speakys,
http://www.speakys.com.au/aboutus/locations.htm check them out, they might send ya one... :lol:
TAYZ 58

Post by TAYZ 58 »

Burnsy,
The wagon on the sticker actually exists. Its inside the shop mounted above the door. The wagon looks like its had a resto at some stage and has a chasis kit etc through it. Everytime I go to Geelong i go in and have a look at it. Sorry for hijacking yr post Yogie.

TAYZ
yogie

Post by yogie »

okay here's an update, finished of the floor pan, and the front section, we drooped the subframe, and arnt we glad we did, found a few more little rust sections that were hiding, these are now fixed, and I can get stuck into the subframe, with out having to lie on my back. still looking for a eyebrow for the guard, call me on 0413539440 (yogie)

the floor pan all over bar the shout

the right front lower section, not as bad as the left side was

floor pans just never be big enough to cover the rusted out area :(

and finished off the LHF section finally, all welds just need a wipe with athe grinder, more to come so stay tuned.
yogie

Post by yogie »

here's a few more... :)

this the little panel I had to make up

The worst part of any floor pan is the getting the pan/corner/pillar all to line up and get a decent weld on it.

And I'm after this section of cross member, so if your got one, give me a call 0413539440...yogie :D
yogie

Post by yogie »

started on the subframe today, cut out the shitty bits, and sent it off to the sandblaster, when its back I'll fabricate the channel sections and if it turns out like I've planned, should have enough to do a few extra, out there in FB/EK land... :D

yogie

Post by yogie »

Just to clarafy a question, this is not MY FB, and and I have been chastised quite servely because its EKKKKKK, well I had moved on.

so here's the owner JACKO!

and here's the secrets that were uncovered by the sandblaster, all good stuff, rather find it now than have to do it again, a few years down the track.
yogie

Post by yogie »

started to shape up the channel sections I had folded, it's 1.6mm, and I got two lengths of 1300 each and both for $70, bargain I say, its not exact but but a little perswasion and anything will fit, just need to weld some nuts underneath the channel for the swaybar bolt to hold onto somthing, cut a slot and drain hole and I should be right.

stinky
State: SA

Post by stinky »

I love seeing this stuff, keep it coming Yogie!
I never could tell the difference between the EK and FB myself :roll:
yogie

Post by yogie »

Well I've always been quick to be a little harsh on rarespares...but I recived the subframe leg today and I'm inpressed, looks very good, not bad rarespares, but it took 7 days from preston to Geelong ??? will post pics of the subframe rust repairs next few days, thae corner peice I fabricated is looking real good, having trouble cutting a slot for the sway bar clamp. Any ideas... :?:
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Yogie,

Mark the slot then drill each end with the required size. Find a half worn cut off wheel 4 inch grinder then cut between the 2 holes carefully. If this wont work drill along the slot close together and then use a small rats tail file to remove reminding metal.

Regards EK 283.
yogie

Post by yogie »

Okay I've been too busy playing on the trails, with the bike but now that its getting to dusty, the mates car is back on the agenda, and aint he a happy chap. Well I've 99% finished off the sub frame and floor, here's a few pics. I do have a bit of the Channel I used for the subframe sections, It is made to factory spec, and is about 1.8mm thick, very mig weldable. Send me a PM if your looking for some, I've about metre or more of each.