oil leak

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

muddy
State: NOT ENTERED

oil leak

Post by muddy »

hi all

it seems that the fb has reached a stage where a bunch of stuff breaks at once.

it has developed quite a rapid oil leak somewhere at the back of the engine. it only leaks when the car is turned off, and then it comes on quite quickly, and leaks ALOT of oil. i wiped the engine down and tried to see exactly where it was coming from, but no good. any ideas where it could be coming from?

on that note, just before we went away at easter, i pulled the rocker cover off to adjust the tappets. inside, i found pieces of plastic, and when i did the jigsaw puzzle after getting them all out, there appeared to be 4 little round doughnuts, a bit bigger than a 10c piece. any idea what these were? could they be related to my leaky engine? funnily enough the leak is only recent, it didnt happen straight away.

thanks alot
james
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

James, the oil leak could be possibly the rear main. However, since you have just taken off the tappett cover I would dare say that the leak is coming from the back of the cover. The oil runs down the back of he motor to give the impression its coming from the rear main. This has happened to me previously.

As for the plastic material, IMHO I would suggest that this is the remnant of the fibre washers that are on either side of the connector between the two rocker assemblies.

If it was me I would take cover off and check if if you have any fibre washers and at the same time replace the tappett cover gasket.Let us know how you get on.

Rod
muddy

Post by muddy »

yep, got the oil leak, it was the rocker cover gasket. it wasnt on quite right, it was sitting up on the veeeery back head bolt. its a bit old and sad anyway, so ill replace it anyhow when i check out these fibre washers...

thanks for the pointers!