MildFB, customised FB wagon

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

MildFB
State: VIC

Re: MildFB, customised FB wagon

Post by MildFB »

Thanks Harv,
that's really good info and I will investigate that. On the plus side we do not have to do windscreen and the rear is reasonably simple... but we will see.
Re engineer, since we have taken so long with the build, our original engineer is no longer available, now we have to jump camps to a new engineer. Not ideal but there is a lesson for anyone taking toooo long to finish. :frownn: The choice is critical, we are looking.
regards Graham
If in doubt..chop it.
http://www.mildfb.com
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Hi mildFB. Can’t see your latest pics. Too bad you can’t set it up to use ground down originals. Just make sure you can still fit a carton of beer in through the drivers window at the bottlo or you will have to resort to drinking cans, oh no, oh no.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

If you go down the polycarbonate path, it might be worth giving this bloke a yell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GMWX_7H094

Sounds like he will do small-scale projects (you supply the steel template, he will mould the poly for you) without massive price. I was thinking he might do some wagon windows for my EK, but the engineer bit took that off the table for me.

Might be able to sneak some simple poly windows into the meth monster project (sedan) as they are flat and easy enough to swap back and forth with the original glass.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
MildFB

Post by MildFB »

how do we do pics now.
the usual method of Image with the link in the middle isn't working anymore.. is there a trick?
If in doubt..chop it.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Open up a Reply post.
Scroll down a bit until you see this:
reply post.JPG
reply post.JPG (69.29 KiB) Viewed 832 times
Click on Attachments, then Add Files.
Select the photo you want, upload it then click on the Place Inline button to drop it into your post.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
MildFB

Post by MildFB »

OK good one. it's changed since last time here...
Attachments
IMG_9167.jpg
IMG_9167.jpg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 825 times
IMG_9166.jpg
IMG_9166.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 825 times
IMG_8924.jpg
IMG_8924.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 825 times
If in doubt..chop it.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Looking good!

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Mick

Post by Mick »

Harv wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:08 am You can use polycarbonate (Lexan is a trade name for a type of polycarbonate, like suntuff and ampelite). It can be fairly easily formed by heating and droop moulding, though you will want either a fair sized oven or some skill with a gas torch. Given most of the rear windows are flat (and the curves simple), you can probably do it without an oven. It has some downsides:

a) some engineers will not allow it. NCOP refers back to the Australian Standards, which do not allow polycarbonate windows.
b) it can scratch, even with the anti-scratch coatings. Big drama on a windscreen, less so on side windows (if you are careful). May mean you have to replace windows every now and then.
c) it can be wavy. Again, more of a drama on the windscreen.

Cheers,
Harv
might be different in VIC but i couldn't find an engineer that would wear any type of plastic in my rear screen when i thought i might have to re engineer my sedan, oddly enough i could have filled the rear screen in with steel and they would pass it
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
MildFB

Post by MildFB »

Thanks for the feedback on the use of plastic windows at the rear. I will run it past the engineer and see what we can do, not done yet. There is always the option to make a steel window and call it a panel van :(. I hope it doesn't come to that. I priced the manufacture of custom glass and looking at $2k each.....
If in doubt..chop it.
gpi

Post by gpi »

Sorry to hear about your loss, im sure Col would be egging everyone on to finish MildFB.

If youve already made the mould, might be worth a try to grind down the original windows?

It can be done if lucky, we know Trev had a helluva time doing it for his chop...
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Side glass is toughened and can’t be ground down unfortunately 😟
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
MildFB

Post by MildFB »

Blacky wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:10 pm Side glass is toughened and can’t be ground down unfortunately 😟
It's also not a matter making the windows smaller (vertically). They are a different shape because the pillar is on more of an angle. first choice is plastic product, but we will see what happens. stay tuned.
If in doubt..chop it.
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

For side glass you could always get them cut, one of the guys had all his side glass cut for a 49 &*#@ using the originals as templates and they came with the aus standard symbol on them. All you need to do is make a plywood template which will also allow you to ensure that it will all work properly once installed. Any competent glass place can cut the glass.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Harv

Post by Harv »

I suspect it’s the curves in the wagon rear glass that rule out the plywood template option.

Cheers,
Harv
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Harv wrote:I suspect it’s the curves in the wagon rear glass that rule out the plywood template option.

Cheers,
Harv
Aaaah yep, those will be the difficult ones! I forgot they haven’t been recessed like on Minis chopped FB wagon. Door glass won’t be so hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.