Electronic dizzy in grey.

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Mattso63
State: WA

Post by Mattso63 »

Hi all,

I've just purchased and installed the Pertronix ignition kit with the flame thrower coil, and followed all the advice in this thread which has been invaluable :) I thought I'd try and save some effort by installing the ignition kit into the distributor while it was still attached to the engine, and it was going fine until I dropped one of the tiny nuts and washers down a hole in the distributor housing! And I didn't have any small magnets to pull them out with and my magnetised screw drivers were too big to fit down the hole, so in the end, I had to pull out the distributor out anyway. :roll:
I got the magnet ring to sit right after slightly filing down the lip (with a points file) so it would fit snugly over the hex shaft, and after that, it fired up straight away. I corrected the timing with a timing light, and have been happy ever since!
:D . It hasn't missed a beat!
So thanks for everyone's advice here - it certainly helped me with this one!
Sputzwagon
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Electronic dizzy in grey.

Post by Sputzwagon »

Hi all...I'm very interested in this Electronic ignition idea.
Pete (Space Ace) has installed a Mercedes E.I. unit in the Grey in his ute. Recon it does wonders. Evidentally it fits straight in the dizzy. I'll probably do the same in mine. Cost was about the $200 mark.

Scotty.
[img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg211/scottyharrod/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No 2
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

Sputzwagon wrote:Hi all...I'm very interested in this Electronic ignition idea.
Pete (Space Ace) has installed a Mercedes E.I. unit in the Grey in his ute. Recon it does wonders. Evidentally it fits straight in the dizzy. I'll probably do the same in mine. Cost was about the $200 mark.

Scotty.
could you find out the mercedes part no's that you need to do this? i'm pretty interested myself :)
'The best engine in the world is a vagina. It can be started with only one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And it changes it's own oil every four weeks. It is a pity that the management system is so f*$king temperamental.'
hawk

Post by hawk »

Jimmy the Pertronix part number is 1864a,which fits inside the dizzy.

This part no is for the grey Motor.

Regards,Greg.
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

righto, thanks for that greg
'The best engine in the world is a vagina. It can be started with only one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And it changes it's own oil every four weeks. It is a pity that the management system is so f*$king temperamental.'
Stygian
State: NSW

Post by Stygian »

Jimmy,

You can buy the Petronix kit on Ebay here. I bought mine from this guy. Hell of a lot cheaper than what the Aussie Petronix distributor was asking (around $400 :shock: )

Andrew
mikey_ok

Re:

Post by mikey_ok »

Craig wrote:And the leads they supplied were a bit on the short side caused a lot of bad words on my behalf however I didnt ring and complain but I recon if I did they would have sorted it
I just put in the "Scorcher" setup from Performance Ignition like Craig's (see his photo pg. 1) - the lead from the coil to the dizzy was too short, spoke to them and received a new one (10cm longer) the next day in the post. Can't fault their service!

In hindsight, if we mounted the coil "upside-down", with lead coming out the top, the supplied lead would be long enough, and less risk of the coil slipping out of the mount... maybe that's what they intended? Just a thought. (I do think it looks better lead down as in Craig's pic).

Craig,
How did you go about setting the timing? It's supposed to be set at 10º BTDC - performance say that the flywheel mark is 7º, "so turn it so that you see the mark in the bottom of the inspection slot..." Looking in my manual, hydra-matics are 7º but 3-speed synchros (like mine and yours) are marked at 2º.

Is that right? Did you set it up at 10º? How did you go about finding where 10º was?
(I'm planning to measure the distance between TDC and 2º, then mark it off another 4 times forward from there...)
Craig

Post by Craig »

I set mine at the 2 deg mark on the flywheel lock it down and shut down the engine then hold the dizzy still and loosen the lock down plate screw and bolt (this has markingson it for up yo 10 deg advance and retard) set this plate at 0 deg and retighten to the dizzy set to 8 to 10 deg by the plate and lock down you will now have 10-12 deg

take it for a run and load it up drive up hills ect and lisen for any pinging (sounds like there is a piece of chain in your engine) if you hear this back the timing of a couple of degrees but at 10deg you should not have any dramas

Mine is running around 12 and starts easily and runs great you will love this dizzy

points are for ................. na I got nothing
Better dead than red

EK, the VN of the 60s
mikey_ok

Post by mikey_ok »

thanks heaps,

will do. i noticed the markings on the dizzy clamp, but didn't realise they went up to 10º. i'll have a play.

thanks!
- mikey.
Sputzwagon

Post by Sputzwagon »

Just installed my Pertronix ignition and it runs like a charm..my timing seems to work best around 9/10 deg after setting the dizzy as in Craig's post. (and fixing the 'out-one-tooth hassle :oops: ).
I can highly recommend these electronic ignition kits!! MARVELOUS! :D :D 8) 8) :mrgreen:

Scotty.
[img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg211/scottyharrod/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No 2
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

good feedback...have got one put away for my grey.
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Woodies

Post by Woodies »

We have just ordered a Pertronix ignitor for our new EK (thanks Lu!, she's beautiful). Does anyone know if it requires the flame thrower coil as well or will if fit on the ordinary coil? Heidi and Woodie :D
Aussy Edo
State: QLD

Post by Aussy Edo »

Hey guys,ime lookin at purchasing the pertronix system and like woodsy want to know if you need to buy the flame thrower coil aswell cheerz
Edo
One Day Hopefully!!
thropzed

Post by thropzed »

Hey Edo, Do yourself a favour and get a Bosch MEC 718 coil. Throws bucket loads of spark and burns down everything in site.
I just put one in the wagoon and it Rocks.
Cheers Theo Z.......................
Watch for the early bird, He might be just getting home.

FB/EK Car Club of QLD.
Aussy Edo
State: QLD

Post by Aussy Edo »

Hey Theo,thanks for the tip mate,sounds sweet,where did you get it?,ime gunna order the pertronix kit off ebay and have a look at assembly over xmass some time so ile get hold of the coil in the next few weeks too. :wink: :D
Edo
One Day Hopefully!!